1962 Dunhill Shell Briar: SVS marking???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbb01

Lurker
Oct 24, 2012
St. Paul, MN
I recently swapped for my first Dunhill, and the markings are as follows:
LBS F/T DUNHILL SHELL BRIAR MADE IN ENGLAND2 4(in a circle) S
However, there is also SVS stamped by the stem (which I was told may be a replacement fishtail stem). Can anyone tell me what the "SVS" stamp means?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would think it may just be a former owners initials? Looks like a very nice pipe. The original stem would have also been a fish tail.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
This all guess work on my part, this part not, F/T means Fishtail, now the guessing,could it be a pipe owned by someone in the Military? When viewed button side down it says SAS, seems as though those were not stamped but carved. Sounds good, Something to Ponder and I am a pondering old fool.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Webbb01:
I have a copy of the late John Loring's booklet titled "The Dunhill Briar Pipe - The Patent Years and After," and have searched it through, but could not find any reference to the SVS stamp which your pipe bears. Dmcmtk may well be correct in his surmise that these are the initials of a former owner.
tbradsim1:
Your are correct: F/T does indeed stand for fish-tail.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Yeah that SVS is definitely carved in. If it were a stamp both "S" would be identical but there is a variance. But I don't know anything so take that with a grain of salt. :rofl:

webbb01

Lurker
Oct 24, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Thank you for all your replies! Being new to Dunhill pipes I appreciate your thoughts and information. Here are a few more pictures of my Dunhill. I just got inside from smoking a few bowls of Dunhill 965 out on my deck and it continues to smoke great!

Status
Not open for further replies.