1954 Prince Albert unopened ...ok to smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I have a few cans of Prince Albert unopened with the tax stamp still on. Series 124 which is 1954. With all the posts on setting tobacco aside to cure, I was just wondering if Prince Albert came in sealed packs or cloth inside the tin. Could this tobacco be re-hydrated if needed and smoked? What should one expect in this regard?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Quite the find. I doubt that the tobacco in the tins is sealed in anything but paper if you're talking about the pocket tins. If it as a pound container then there probably isn't any liner at all. It's safe to assume that the tobacco is dry. Rehydrating it is not difficult at all. Empty the tin into a bowl and either put a damp paper towel over the bowl or spritz it with distilled water and mix it up. It should come to life rapidly and you're off to the races with a 60 year old blend. Good luck and enjoy.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've seen cans of the original blend half and half on ebay for like 100$. Yes the tobacco could be rehydrated, I did it with a pouch of tobacco that was probably from the 50's and was sealed but brittle dry. I still haven't smoked it though, but I'm going to eventually. It rehydrated and looked like any other tobacco does.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Interesting! So what does long curing do to tobacco normally? Make it milder maybe?
PS: Oh I saw a video of the packet inside which was sealed, but just paper.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hawke, my flip-top tin is about 40 years old and still intact. My parents bought it for me at Disney World on one of their trips so I'll keep it as is. As far as yours is concerned a bit of careful hydration should bring it back and it should be quite mellow after all this time. Good luck and happy smoke rings.

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
So let's put this in perspective.
The first photo below was taken in January 1954, or closely thereabouts. The man in it is my great-grandfather, who was born in 1875, one year before the Battle of the Little Bighorn. He smoked Prince Albert. His pipe also appears below. A few flecks of PA remain embedded in the cake.
In 1954 there were most likely still a few native citizens who had been born into slavery walking the streets of Savannah (where I resided at the time). And there was at least one surviving veteran of the Civil War.
HW-SW-amp-CBw_zpsee20a5eb.jpg

P3231729w_zps89e508ed.jpg

P3231733w_zpsa934abee.jpg

chiefbroom

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
Great stuff, trailboss!
And yes, I'm sure pipes were treated as disposables by many back then, although I'd guess my grandpa probably didn't own more than one at a time. He died in 1958 when I was 3, but I have memories of being in his home, which wasn't much more than a shotgun shack by today's standards.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The photograph of great grandparents is beyond priceless. What a powerful piece of history. And

the pipe to go with it. Fabulous.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Inspiring posts. Really like the "put into perspective" theme!
I'd like to give one away here. You guys vote on who gets it. (Voting on yourself wont count, LOL)

Who ever has the most votes on Sunday March 30th, 2014 at 8:35PM Eastern Time Zone gets it.
So here's "The Tins"

PAlbrt1.jpg

PAlbrt2.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
In 44 years of piping I've never had PA. But since this is voting thing I'd nominate out resident reviewer Jiminks. His take on blends is usually spot on and he's a fine gentleman. I'd like to read his take on a vintage blend. I'd also propose romeowood and E. Roberts as both would do this justice.

It's very generous of you to make this offer; you're a good man.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
The joy is in the giving papipeguy. Mr. agnosticpipe sent me a free sample a while back so I'd like to put him in the vote. He gave away 3 boxes of assorted blends to 3 different people.
(Help me make sure I dont miss any votes please)

In alphbetical order:

1 -agnosticpipe

1 -E. Roberts

1 -Jiminks

1 -romeowood

1 -TopD
And... Check out: 1910 RJR Tobacco Pouch ...Intact!

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Would be interesting to smoke. I still need to pick up some prince albert to try sometime.
As for the vote, TopD get's it. retired usmc and his birth year.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.