PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
As most of you out there probably know by now, I am an admitted Bent Bulldog Fan.
Ok, ok!
"Hi, My name is Dino and I am a Bent Bulldogaholic" :oops:
As is often the case, a few weeks back I caught myself surfin the interweb, namely ebay and etsy lookin for my next acquisition, and I found what was listed as a "Nice Vintage Dunhill Estate" pipe.
I could tell from the images that this thing was pretty grunged up.
During the Offer, Counter-Offer game I inadvertently accepted the second counter offer. :roll:
It was admittedly more than I wanted to pay, but in the big picture of things, $20 or $30 on a Dunnie Bent Bulldog wasn't gonna break the bank.
It arrived relatively quickly and much to my disappointment it was even grungier than I had feared. The condition of the stem was worse than I had hoped for as well.
After what seemed like hours of reaming the bowl I then got to work cleaning up the rim and removing many many years of grunge from the stummel.
It was after doing this that I was able to see all of the nomenclature. Finally some good news. What I thought was a 60's or 70's pipe turned out to be a 1952.
I finally finished it up this evening.
Now, before anyone gets their hopes up I want to give full disclosure. Although I would have liked to have simply buffed it up and have myself a showcase briar, the condition issues were more significant than I would have hoped for.
In the end I'm happy with the way it turned out and will undoubtedly enjoy smokin this for many years to come.
Here's some befores....
a8Jr2Xd.jpg

3TkPhmr.jpg

99X0td6.jpg

8RtdEdd.jpg

And the afters....
KKmHseT.jpg

2mkEakK.jpg

WykbbFp.jpg

Oh0ERDS.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Wow, that turned out nice. I too like bent bulldogs. Good score, fine work in the refurbishing for sure.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
SP,
First, I filed down both sides until the bite marks were gone
Second, I sanded it with micromesh
Third, I buffed it with a fine compound on my variable speed jewelry polisher
Fourth, I polished it with carnuba wax , again on the jewelry polisher

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thank you all for your kind comments.
I'm sittin here in the Mancave, lookin up on the Bent Bulldog Shelves and admiring my newest addition to the stable.
It really is a beautiful little briar with really nice birdseye on the bottom of the stummel and shank.
Think I'll let it sit up there for a while before I smoke it... KInda hate to mess it up. :)

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Confession time.
Late last night, while perusing the various piping forums/sites, I relented and pulled my newly refurbed Dunnie down off the shelf, packed er full of aged Margate and Absolutely, Thoroughly and Unashamedly enjoyed it to the max!
Thanks again for all of the swell comments gang. This morning I've already been back up to the mancave, and took a polishing rag to it.
I know, I know already, but hey admitting you've got a problem is the first step right? :oops:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Bent dogs are, by far, my favorite shape.
And you have given absolute rebirth to this classic example.
Well done.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Terrific! And nicely documented.
Somewhat surprise the teethmarks were handled just by filing away the non-indented parts. Did you try lifting them with heat?

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
JP,
I did not try using heat to raise the bite marks.
Didn't actually know you could do that on a stem, although I've seen it done on dents in the briar.
I started out by filing both the top and under side of the bit, then micro mesh to get rid of the file marks. Then it was on to the buffing wheel ( a variable speed jewelry polisher ) and some buffing compound and finished it up with a good coat of carnuba wax.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
* UPDATE ON THE ER, UHMMMM, DATE ! *
Welp Pipe Fans, as it turns out, I am a decent Estate Briar Refurber but a LOUSY Dunhill Pipe Dating Guide READER !
I had inadvertently missed the fact that my lil Dunnie was absent the Patent Numbers on the shank that would help identify it as a 1952. :oops:
It is in fact a 1962.
Although this doesn't mean anything in the big scope of things, ya know like World Peace, Cure for Cancer, etc..., but it is a little embarrassing.
It smokes great nonetheless.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
Beautiful pipe and great job with the refurbishing
Im always on the lookout for my birth year dunhill but haven't found one yet - a bent bull dog like that would be a score of the century for me

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Nice job on that one. Everything that makes that pipe a Dunhill is still present and accounted for.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks again all for the kind comments.
Chappy, being as it is actually a 1962, this pipe is 1 year too old to be my Birth Pipe, so I've decided to designate it as my...
Conception Year Pipe. :wink:
Being that it's one of my favorite brands in my all time favorite shape, I'm thinkin 2 outta 3 ain't bad (in my best Meatloaf voice)

Status
Not open for further replies.