PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Just acquired this 1945 Dunhill Shell Patent.
I believe the 313 indicates the shape, but does anyone know what the / 24 signifies?
Any idea what it would be worth in today's market?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Do current Dunhills all come with inner tubes?
No. I have two 2013's and a 2015, and the 2015 had one while the others didn't. So maybe yes, as of 2014/2015? I don't see a purpose for it other than to protect the draft hole in the stummel from moisture. It just fell right out and I left it out. It's just a thin piece of aluminum. The older inner tubes were in some cases integral to the pipe, but not in current Dunhills. Chances are the one that may have been in your pipe was non-integral to the pipe and was probably lost or tossed out.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo didi
To me that beauty is an apple. A pot would have a wider chamber. A Prince, especially with a bent stem, would have an inflection point in the curvature of the base.
hp

les

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The older inner tubes were in some cases integral to the pipe...
I've never seen this, and it makes no sense because the tube's purpose---why it was invented---was to make cleaning a pipe a simple matter of throwing it away and replacing with a new one. (They cost about a dime)
I suspect that any old pipes found with what appears to be a permanent tube were simply never changed, and the gunk fossilized over time effectively gluing them in place. (Time-hardened tar is amazingly tough and epoxy-like)

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Good to know. This pipe has actually been calling to me like a Siren. So I've decided to clean her up and give it a go, at least for a while. Started cleaning the bowl and stem last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.