PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I was wondering if anyone here knows how much this pipe was listed for. I was away most of the day, just saw the email from SP, and it was already gone.......... A lovely example of the shape.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=254679&utm_source=Smokingpipes.com&utm_campaign=d6975af799-Thu_Mar_01_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0e8b6a473f-d6975af799-209239377

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I buy a lot of estate pipes from ebay and google search to find history, value, etc. prior to bidding. I often land on an SPC listing only to find it marked "sold".

I've often thought it would really be a service to the pipe community if they left the asking price on the sold listing.
That's a fantastic looking pipe BTW.....very "320ish"

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It was in love at first sight until the "V-word" (Vernon) appeared.
That design never took off (to put it mildly) for a reason.
Great collector's item, though, because of their scarcity.
No idea what it sold for, but doubtless a considerable amount.
There's something popularly known as the "wayback machine" where earlier versions of webpages can be accessed. Maybe someone here knows how to use it.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks. This pipe just went up for sale TODAY, and was listed as a new arrival in their weekly email.... I was hoping someone saw it on their site before it sold.
George, I'm not a fan of the Vernon fitment, but I have made a few exceptions......... :mrgreen:
My curiosity is just getting the better of me, that's all...........

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Wayback Machine. TOO COOL! Never heard of that site and thanks for turning me onto that. Over 310 billion web pages archived.
Unfortunately, that Dunhill pipe listing is not one of them....."Hmmm. Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't think that I've seen a CK that old! And certainly not one with a Vernon fitment, too bad they didn't show the tenon.

I tried to determine the history of the CK shape, when it was introduced, but struck out. I checked with RD Field and Rick Esserman, neither was aware of when the shape first appeared.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I missed it, too. Wasn't buying, just browsing. It must have sold within minutes of going up.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
CK is the shape designation code. Dunhill identifies CK as a bent Rhodesian, but that pipe is clearly an author shape, which is really just a rounded off Rhodesian.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interestingly, sometimes the CK shape is more Rhodesian than Author.
No one could tell me exactly what the CK designation means.
My '69 Bruyere
c62acd4f0a05319fff385ddc72fc3f7a.jpg

whitebar

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I saw the pipe when it was still available on SP but it sold quickly. My recollection is it was around $600 give or take a few dollars. I wasn't interested due to the Vernon tenon. They also had another CK with the deepest bend I've ever seen that was listed for $295. It looked more like a small bent apple than a true CK but was stamped CK.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I emailed SmokingPipes and got a response. The pipe sold for $395.00.......... No wonder it sold so quick. Vernon fitment aside, it was nice early example, not often seen, in my circles anyway. I'd bet that pipe would have brought 600-800 on ebay, in the hands of the right seller............. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.