PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I've just acquired a 1932 Dunhill Bruyere U.S. PATENT 1861910/32 with the Vernon fitting and inner tube in tact. If any Dunhill experts could verify that I am interpreting the coding correctly I would appreciate it.
The nomenclature is light but I am hoping it will photograph clearer once cleaned up. On the right side of the shank it says, MADE IN ENGLAND12 (the 12 is underscored and half-size of the D). On the same line in full size is T35. Is the T35 the shapes code? On the line below is U.S. PATENT 1861910/32. Here is a link to the patent on pipephil:
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/images-infos/dunhill/dunhill-vernon.pdf
On the left side of the shank is the Ao for the Bruyere finish and it says DUNHILL over LONDON.
The stem has the single dot which appears to be more of a tobacco color than white. On the opposite side from the dot is stamped REG No ( the o is underscored and half size to the N) over 65438.
I would appreciate it if someone could verify my coding or correct me if I am incorrect. It appears to have been smoked very little. For now I'm just going to gently clean with a damp cloth and see if I can photograph the nomenclature with better lighting. These photographs were just taken with my iPad and are rather poor but will have to do for now.
7smhiQz.jpg

jLAkMLo.jpg

XmGoTrU.jpg

dNuo3Ex.jpg

MAt3Kn9.jpg

MAt3Kn9.jpg

bj4bH7O.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'd say your dating is correct, and yes the 35 is the shape code. On the dot, remember during the period they were sometimes made of ivory I believe, and subject to discoloring.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
10-4 on ivory dots turning odd colors upon occasion.
In case you were wondering, a "T" as part of the shape number means a flat spot was ground on the bottom of an ordinarily round-shanked model so that it stayed upright when set on a flat surface.
Vernon fitment pipes are fairly rare. Good condition ones especially so. Nice piece. :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
In case you were wondering, a "T" as part of the shape number means a flat spot was ground on the bottom of an ordinarily round-shanked model so that it stayed upright when set on a flat surface.
That's a fascinating detail.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Dave and George, thank you both for the confirmation and other information. Until I got into the coding I thought I remembered off the top of my head that patent date nomenclature would date the pipe to be no newer than the late 1950's and I thought to myself that someone might be looking for a birth year pipe of that era. I never would have thought it would date back to 1932. If someone needs a 1932 birth year pipe they better find one soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.