PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

...With Hallmarked Silver Band."
Well, that's what the listing title said, so I opened it for a quick look and saw:
A Bulldog - my favourite shape, so I looked a little closer...
..forward canted bowl - old style - orifice button...
..badly oxidized stem! No! Wait a minute - that's horn...
..Good! Good! This is getting exciting...
..Hallmarks - 1893...
Calm down. Breath - look closely at shank (awful photo so strain eyes and squint a bit) - GBD!!!!
Panic ensues as I rush to make an offer before anyone else hits the buy it now button. Then, I wait. A few minutes (feels like hours) later I receive an email telling me I can, Pay Now.
Wahoooo!
This is the battered little beauty that is heading my way:
GBD-Bulldog-1-e1487709235441.jpg

I love these old pipes.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Congrats on that fine acquisition! Hope it is at least as good as it looks from the photo.

K

klause

Gents, thanks for the comments.
Sam, yep, it's well chewed alright, but, I've seen, and have, worse - thankfully ,I'm not a clencher, so it won't get any more chomping.
Al, my thoughts, exactly - to me, it looks like this pipe was of great comfort to someone - 'nuff said :)

K

klause

I have it in hand.
George, you were right - it is the original stem. It has a screw fit bone tenon, and it is all perfect.
The COM is 'Made in Ireland' in the circle format, so early to mid 40's. This I find a little surprising, as I expected it to be a bit older - it's a strange time frame for a shape like this.
The 'Petersons Of Dublin' is in the arch format, with the P being the old forked format.
It's very small - the kind of thing usually refered to as a ladies pipe.
The condition is super, with some minor rim darkening, though it has been reamed slightly out of round sometime in the past.
It'll clean up nicely!

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
klause, well done 1893 it is! I have often wondered who the silversmith W.S was, does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.