PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Haven't been here for a while, been busy fixing up the fixer-upper we bought last fall. I have had this pipe for about a year and planned on sending to George for restoration, but since he is trying to reduce his backlog this pipe has been sitting in a drawer for a year and I finally decided to give it a go. Came out pretty nice from a crusted, oxidized condition with the inner tube cemented into the stummel with tar. I was able to save the Reg'd stamp on the stem and free the inner tube without damage.
Ran an inaugural bowl of Filmore through it this morning, sweet and dry. I actually appreciate inner tube pipes as they have a straight, smooth airway from the bowl to the lip and, for me, they usually don't gurgle.
https://goo.gl/photos/U2tE9x4YXGBge9Xq6
https://goo.gl/photos/ucGQAxoYVLt4XSJ98
https://goo.gl/photos/JuZbKyvoLtsqCvqw9
https://goo.gl/photos/1T6HcsYuCveh3s7J7

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the first one. Damn Google's URLs are miles long....
kRk3t9Gayub2j25tfQcCFCrGKZlF6zTaoLamhNXYjjpMxeUIVvWE-tbI692qjpnqvjnBrMvkNCbIMgLZaKXe0RTo2VE1L4X5cVT7I0dMAomBsYglIUGFi1-BOJnfwKey_HZ_f3Gm_nv3uRZJ_Yt5joJVvIV6MI3flcYabhsXxln_-t2AxQjgQi9tl0oQW-8XCNqUNxcyKFRJDlemskTpvzm-rwIeY6_a5XNtWR0idsBVkFmxgh7O3gn_CWER_kuRGc7l5kNMlxrlb3q9tdhItXKqDm6Drgw1rGd7p_kNtdHGYPPoZVd_TP1-LTK_FKkypsYKEFYLIwQGmAlvjq1HtKd0ZKYYEJP0uJ4lt6Q7NEaOtz4WnH2D8ytYxgpsnADgOSZ-KTyf_IF3lItPsYc_HUbul4rq2cO4i0ZFslFiDi2GoE6VflHfRC8-nwU13MNOJDVQNPUtUHbRv5Gn1rZps1ewpegHnGiNwaeX_Mp7PPRBr41BUkWODi3Gjm3XG_qQFE8RBtcK9-vaOGFT5AxtKzba2R1eheujT5DpiJpekK_3hp7NUYR6eXKnOQIpFQByWqDLf2FGsVXEokw9QDZ8HSaglimqTmOG9SsN9E4HFCXCdCPM1xn00rnSnj-dhgLD6FkGeQSV948mtgpw_dvlQvlvsF1Ch04Th91w1_6sBRSpZg=w2668-h1502-no

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Looks like you did a really nice job. Congratulations! A 1920 Dunhill straight billiard. Wow. I am officially 17 kinds of jealous. :worship:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Doctorbob- That one is a classic beauty! You did it justice, and a 1920 to boot!! Here's to many happy smokes!

PS- I agree about the inner tubes........ I like them too........... :puffy:

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Thanks, fellas. Most of the pipe was in excellent shape under the crud, there were several exterior rim dings from knocking that could probably be topped out by someone who knew what they were about (George), I left them alone. The stem came out immaculate with nary a tooth mark or ding.
Doc

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
10-4 on leaving rim dings unless you're 100% confident. Topping a bowl is the simplest thing possible. Topping a bowl undetectably is probably the most difficult thing to pull off in the entire restoration toolbox. Definitely not something you want to experiment with on a magnificent old specimen like this Dunnie.
Excellent job all-round from what I can see, Doc. :D BIG props for your "less is more" approach and overall light touch. It doesn't take much for such a patina-rich old piece to look smeared & buffer-blasted.
The only blip (and it's easily addressed) are some vestigial tool marks at the base of the stem.
I understand why you left them---scratches are infinitely preferable to radiusing---but there is a way to approach the edge that removes all radiusing risk when de-greening a stem: tightly, smoothly, and evenly wrap the tenon with making tape, building up its diameter (think "false shank") to exactly level with the area needing attention, then go one more layer. The edge is then protected, and you can scuff the tape all you want.
The only technique involved is avoiding the radius (or 45-degree shoulder on most Dunhills) where the tenon joins the stem face for the first few turns of tape, then once you're past it, bring each successive turn of tape slightly closer to the shank face until the gap is closed by the time you reach level. (If you don't do that, the tape diameter will always be larger at the stem-face end of the tenon no matter how much or how tightly you wrap.)
Do not wet sand with masking tape. It will dissolve. (You could use some type of plastic tape, but wet sanding over such a small area has no benefit)
20170830_150059.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.