PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
'Tis a lovely little thing. 4.75" long and 43 grams. Compact, rugged, comfortable, tastes good, and smokes great.
I've always had a soft spot for durable designs, even though I rarely put them to the test. Maybe it comes from fixing so many Canadians. :lol:
At one time BBB wanted---and tried---to take over the PipeWorld. Be the best available and be everywhere. That didn't happen, but it was for speculative/financial reasons, not a lack of product quality.
If interested in the brand, absolutely get this book. It's amazing. (450 pages!): http://briarbooks.com/BBB_1912_Catalogue.html
Also, I just realized I put "Best Make" in the thread header when I meant to type "Own Make"... :evil: (Hopefully a mod will take pity on me and change it. I hate that part of Life where people point and laugh at what a dumbass you are.)
P1010637.jpg

P1010639.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
great pipe; i really love the lines. a wonderful vestige of frankau's golden years, when blumfeld still ran the company and they were both independent and a market leader. thirteen years later blumfeld was dead. only seven years after that the company crashed and burned: overexpansion, bad management of cash flow, and a mini-recession pushed them into bankruptcy. oppenheimer et al picked up the pieces and used them as an important lever in their creation of "the merger" (i.e. cadogan investments). many great bbb pipes were still made after 1927, but in retrospect it was the first ringing of the death knell.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Lovely pipe.
What’s the story on this one? A keeper, refurb, or selling? I have a soft spot for these old BBB’s. That would look right at home in my pipe stand. :puffy:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A keeper, refurb, or selling?
I wouldn't post a fixer or a seller on the wrong board. Just wanted to share. My shop time's been spotty recently (a respiratory bug got me), so I've been posting otherwise-pointless photos to keep my head in the game.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Well don’t give up on posting your fixer threads.
Keep the “pointless” pics flowing. Show and tell are by far the most interesting posts for us old timers.
Get well soon

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
a respiratory bug got me

You are not allowed to be incapacitated or pass away for at least ten years. That is probably how long it will take to get my Custombilt fixed at my current rate of savings. That is, if there aren't a hundred pipes ahead of me. :P Nice BBB by the way!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love those older, compact BBB's. Those old catalogs are full of similar shapes that never really caught on with other makers. Chris Asteriou and Mikhail Kyriazanos are starting to recreate some of those shapes.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I'm becoming interested in the BBB, need to start learning which ones are worth acquiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.