PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Well I mentioned earlier that I would do a review of my 1858 Remington new model army blackpowder revolver.
344a5c7b.jpg

Keep in mind this isnt going to be an in depth review because this is a pipe forum not a gun forum :puffpipe:
I was surprised when I actually got this gun int the mail, It is a Pietta, which isnt known for their fit and finish. This gun came out of the box beautiful. The blueing on it was probably the best I have ever seen on any gun.
It has a great action, the trigger is at about 4 pounds, the hammer pulls back easily and as far I I can tell the cylinder rotation is perfect, I cant even overclock it if I try.
Overall the appearance oof the gun and its preliminary function is about perfect.
No on to the shooting, I the load I used was a .451 round ball, 30 grains of jim shockey fffg black powder, a lubricated wad, and cci #11 caps. I also loaded without wads and got the same fire characteristics just so everyone knows.
As a side note I have a short barrel 1851 navy, I shoot it frequently, and it is horribly inaccurate, it shoots about 2 feet high for some reason. So I wasnt expecting much from the new army.
So I loaded it up, cocked it back and aimed right at a soda can about 20 yards away. Hit it first shot out of the box. I couldnt believe it. So I did it again and again and it still was dead on. i moved in closer, still dead on, I moved farther away, still dead on. It was unbelievable.
The gun shoots within 2 inches of the point of aim anywhere from 10 yards to 75 yards. the accuracy is spectacular.
I shot about 50 rounds through it, it held up well with fowling and the blue stayed perfect (after we cleaned it of course)
Overall I am extremely happy, the gun is a tackdriver, and is a dream to shoot.
If you have a love for blackpowder pistols like I do, or are just curious and want to get into the hobby. This is a GREAT gun.
I am going shooting again soon, I plan on testing up to an excess of 100 yards, and point blank, see how it holds up
John

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
That's really nice and it sounds as though it's shooting really well for you. Are you still thinking about converting it to .45 Colt? If it were mine I'd keep that fine shooting piece the way it is. Either way you choose to go about it I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Hey im in PA too, Wilkes Barre. Yup it is italian made, but to be honest, it doesnt matter to me. The thing is amazing, and they ship it right to your door.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Nice looking shooter. Makes me want to read The Dark Tower series again (also aided by the fact that there is a new book coming out).
The main protagonist is a gunslinger, for those who aren't familiar with the books.
Anyway, one of my uncles had a black powder shooter and, although he probably hasn't shot it in decades, used to speak fondly of it when jabbing about guns with my father.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I have a .50 cal percussion pistol I built from a kit and my first handgun was a Colt Walker reproduction. Both shot surprisingly well and make big holes in stuff!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
What school you going to in Wilkes Barre, my brother-in-law graduated from Wilkes.

Im at wilkes right now!
What school you going to in Wilkes Barre, my brother-in-law graduated from Wilkes.
I read them, they were great
Are you still thinking about converting it to .45 Colt?
Yeah, eventually, but I will keep the blackpowder cylinder, I love blackpowder, but cartridges are so much easier. Im not going to modify the gun at all, just grab a drop in cylinder.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Sound good J. next time you go out if you have an assistant you should get some photos of the piece in action. My son was manning the camera during one of our recent outings and he got a picture of my 1911 with the slide all the way back. The empty case was not in the frame though -that would have been the coolest.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Ill have to see what I can do, granted my assistant just bought a new pistol today, I dont think he'll be wielding a camera any time soon

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Not sure about getting a 'drop in cylinder' in .45 colt, but if you find one

you otta make sure your cartridges are loaded with black powder, not smokeless.

Keep in mind, that's a .44 cal barrel.
TopD

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
you otta make sure your cartridges are loaded with black powder, not smokeless.

Keep in mind, that's a .44 cal barrel.
They just have to be cowboy loads, it has to be under 1000 fps. as far as the caliber, 45 works just as well as 44, you actually use a 45 cal ball, which is a little bigger than a 45 cal bullet, granted you shave off some of the bullet, but the size difference is negligible

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
True, but if you'll notice when you 'lever' a ball into the cylinder, your .451 becomes a

.44 when some of the lead is shaved off. That is so it's tight. I don't know what cowboy loads

are, but if it's smokeless, it'll burn to fast and create to much chamber pressure. Feet

per second has nothing to do with it, it's chamber pressure you need to be concerned about.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
A cowboy load is a load that can be used with older guns, they do make smokeless loads, but its with only a tiny bit of powder, not even close to filling the shell. I dont know how exactly the caliber thing works, but I know it does. Ill get back to you when I figure it out haha

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Gonna get your CCW and carry that? :lol: Ive always seen these in the cabelas catalogues and wondered if theyre worth a shi...er... a shot

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Hmmmmm....4 inch group @75 yards?

That is extraordinary marksmanship with a pistol.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
The thing is very well balanced,also the grouping was shot off a bench just to see what the gun could do. Shooting freehand I could do a 6 inch group at 75 yards. Im not that good of a shot, I was praising the pistol

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Water filled plastic milk jugs are fun reactive targets. Gallon and half gallon jugs make great water explosions when hit. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.