PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Picked up some 1820 last week in England and finally got to sit down with it. The bag odor doesn't strike me as Penzance-ish. I got the shag version which is a very fine cut so certainly nothing like Penzance. Similar in cut to Margate and Pembroke. In the bowl, the orientals and latakia come through but I found nothing of the depth of Penzance. I'll have to give it another bowl this week but so far, it's not a Penzance replacement to me.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I'd take 1820 over Penzance any day, and twice on Sundays.
But hey, that's just me.... :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For those of us who haven't encountered this blend before, here's a brief rundown from the P&C tobacco pages:
JF Germain Eighteen Twenty

5 OUT OF 5RATING1WRITE A REVIEW

Share:

JF Germain Eighteen Twenty is a classic blend, named for the year of Germain's founding. It has all the traditional elements of and English or Balkan blend - Virginias, Orientals, and Latakia - but this blend is Orientals forward with the Latakia playing a supporting role. It's smooth, yet very complex. If you like Latakia in measured amounts, JF Germain Eighteen Twenty is an excellent choice.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Unusual that a tobacco company would give two products the same name. Hopefully, the flake is the better version.
I agree, it was a poorly conceived idea that somehow got implemented.

Early reports are it is very close to Penzance, but not identical.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I have some 1820 flake, and it falls apart just like penzance. I haven’t smoked them side by side yet. It’s on my list of things to do eventually. Apparently there’s a topping missing that isn’t permitted for the uk version.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Star of the East.

Star of the East Flake.

No confusion here. Two very different blends.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I think if your blend has the same name save for a flake/ready rubbed modifier, it ought to be the same damn blend, or as close as is reasonably possible. The preparation may offer its own variations, but I believe the component tobaccos ought to be the same
Haven't had 1820, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy. So many people looking for that Penzance alternative, and for the people that rank Penzance above all others, finding one may be a tall task. Whatever it is that makes Penzance so unique from all the blends with the same components to its admirers is what they will find missing in the alternatives. That said, I find Plum Pudding and Watch City's Ahab's Comfort to deliver a similar experience. I haven't had Bengal Slices White yet, but the original version is similar, IMO, but for the topping. The White version doesn't have the topping, so may be worth a shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.