PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Last night was my first experience with 1792 flake and needless to say I barely made it out alive. First mistake was I lit it up in probably a bigger bowl than I should have because I was feeling cocky. Next mistake(which is probably why I was feeling cocky) I had already had a glass of Walker and was finishing my second before I started smoking it. I made it through to the end of the bowl, but when I went to lay down it caught up with me. I think I was spinning for about 20 to 30 minutes after smoking this stuff. I am going to light up a much smaller bowl tonight and skip the drinks after dinner. Hopefully I will come out on top this next round, but I will be sure to treat 1792 with a little more respect tonight.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
That's hilarious! (sorry)
Not done with my training wheels yet, I appreciate the heads up.

Here's hoping you enjoy this evenings smoke a lot more!
Last month I ordered a new Pete, which came with a free tin of Peterson’s tobacco. I didn’t give it much thought, but loving all things Irish I checked the box in front of “Irish Flake”.

Like the stoopid-ass I am, I only then went to check the reviews on the stuff. Whoops!!
Fortunately the vendor was kind enough to allow a much needed quick change in selection!

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
No, I haven't tried 1792 yet....but thanks to your generous sharing of this experience, I'll be forewarned.... :laughat:

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I don't kinow what all the fuss is about. 8O 1792 is a staple around here. :wink:

It does need to be treated with respect though.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Yeah, my first 1792 (After Dinner, to be precise) experience was like that. Except that I was weaving around the neighborhood ha ha.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It kicked me while I was down rather harshly. But I have grown an attachment to it. It does take some getting used to.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think every pipe smoker should do the, "1792-Flake-on-an-empty-stomach-thing" at some point. Obviously, some of our more hardcore members can smoke Ole 1792 anytime of the day, but most at least need to have a full stomach. I tried it (I'll admit, I got cocky) and paid the price. This doesn't mean I won't smoke it again, just it won't be something in my regular rotation.
-Jason

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I agree, it is definitely not an all day smoke for me. Usually an after dinner smoke. Like I say, the first couple times it knocked me for a loop, but I seem to have gotten more accustomed to it over time.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Awwwwwwwwwww c'mon Jason some of the 1792 followed by a nice big bowl of Five Brothers . Just the thing for a before breakfast smoke.

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for the warning. I got woozy after two Makers Mark's and a bowl of Chelsea Morning. :? Think I'll hang onto my amateur status for awhile.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
As far as nicotine content, it doesn't hold a candle to G&H Black

Flake Unscented. 1792 just has too much Tonquin for me. Now for

a really tasty blend, that I have to smoke in small bowls, try Mick

McQuaid Plug... It's smooth and tasty enough to keep you smoking it,

even as you feel your nicotine tolerance threshold has been blown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.