PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
As I opened the tin, I was hit with a hint of vanilla. The tin note was actually quite pleasant, so I wondered whether I would actually enjoy it. I find the appearance of the flakes quite suggesting despite their different sizes and lengths. It just looks like rotten wooden strips, which suggests heavy fermentation. The moist content was absolutely ridiculous, so I left the tin open for some time before I got myself around into packing my pipe with it. I am finding the taste somewhat similar to the tin note, which is a bonus, really. After a few puffs, I noticed the nicotine content was actually quite high. As a matter of fact, so high that I started worrying I'd not be able to finish my pipe after all. Also, I find some aromatics qualities in this tobacco, and me not being a fan of aromatics at all, at first I wasn't all too sure whether or not I was actually enjoying it. The floral essence of the Burley tobacco is quite forward and sort of dominates taking over from the Virginia. I am not sure about the tonquin bean, but it does not bother me anyway. Despite the risk of being knock off my tail, I must admit I have thoroughly enjoyed it. The tobacco itself is not all that complex, but it evolves quite nicely through every quarter of your bowl. Not sure though whether I'd recommend it to kick start your day. Those adventurous enough might as well go and try to smoke it on an empty stomach, but this tobacco will be better enjoyed as an afternoon/after dinner blend. Indeed, this tobacco is nor recommended for the squeamish.
photo%2054_zpso2erznni.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Yes, 1792 is a manly blend and not for the weak of heart. And you are right getting that stuff to dry out seems to be impossible.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good review. I'm still undecided whether I'll put it on my list. Full-strength can be good, but bean flavoring is an individual taste. I sent a long-time pipe smoker friend this as a gift along with another flake, and he mentioned the other one but never 1792. That was a message.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried this blend years ago and did not care for it at all. I was gifted a tin of it not long ago and since I do love three other SG flakes. I was thinking about giving this another whirl. One question I do have, is about the Lakeland essence. Is it very strong with this blend or is there none at all. My FVF, Best Brown and St James flakes have none and I want to be careful about ghosting a pipe. I really dislike the Lakeland flavoring so if there is any, I will just gift the tin and not open it.

I have a hard time calling the case a Lakeland in this. Others might disagree, but just the tonq bean is the only flavor I get, not that rosy grandma soap taste from teh rose geranium oils they put in other stuff. I think of that pink soap taste as being the true Lakeland flavoring. I get a little of the tonq bean in the St James flake also, just a smidge. But, if it is stronger in the tin, then you might not like it. In the bulk it's just an after thought of a flavor, after the stronger tobaccos step forward. Just my thoughts...

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I enjoy 1792 from time to time.
I also enjoy Sam's Flake from SG. It also has a touch of Tonquin, but just a touch and is not nearly as heavy or strong of a blend as 1792.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I tried some about 15 years or so ago. I liked it, but it was just too strong for me. I prefer a milder tasting tobacco. I didn't even know it had Tonquin in it. It didn't taste like a Lakeland tobacco though. Not at all.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Very distinctive stuff. People tend to either love it or hate it.
KCghost wanted me to encourage everyone on the board to try it, and let those who DON'T like it know they can send him the unsmoked portion for proper disposal. An ounce or a ton, the amount doesn't matter. Also, don't worry if it's really old, either... he'll still get rid of it for you.

peterj

Lurker
Jul 28, 2015
Great review. 1792 is the baccy that's teaching me how to pace myself. Even as a heavy cigarette smoker, the vitamin N is a big hit.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am like Harris. Hated the stuff all 3 times I tried it. Burned like a cheap hooker was, I believe, how I described it.
It is likely time to try it again, but I am in no hurry.
Thanks for the description, tho! You made it sound interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.