PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I was lucky enough to receive a sample of 17 yr old Dark Star from forum member fluffie666, who forwarded it from a sample that he received from member peteguy. I received this a few days ago but never got a chance to smoke it because, well, life sometimes gets in the way and I really wanted to carve out about 90 min for this. SOOO after the kids went to bed and the wife was settled watching whatever God forsaken drivel du jour was on I decided to head out to the patio.
The tobacco arrived dry enough to smoke right out of the bag. I stuck my nose in the bag and took a big whiff and even after 17 years that McClelland ketchup/vinegar smell is STILL there, but there were other nuances. I got faint scents of clove and hay, which seemed somewhat contradictory, but they were there. I just kind of gravity packed my new Butz-Choquin Tropic and fired her up. As with most of the Personal Reserve series it takes a few lights, but once I rubbed out a small bit as kindling and lit that we were on our way. Even at 45 you sometimes forget a step because you are so eager to play with your new toy.
Once lit I just sat back and tried to take in the flavor profile. At first it was a very creamy, and the sweetness of the VA really shined. As the bowl burned down it required some tamping but remained lit. About mid bowl I started tasting and smelling caramel. I smoked outside but I imagine that the room note on this would be pretty acceptable to folks. I needed to relight a few times at the end due to interruptions, but even the bottom of the bowl had a great taste to it.
I am definitely going to pick up a few tins of this. I already have 5 tins of St James Woods in the cellar and I think Dark Star has earned a place as well.
Thanks again to fluffie and peteguy.
Dan

I traded a pipe for a tin of this that was just about as old. I loved it. Try mixing it half and half with a little Christmas Cheer of your choice. It blew my mind. It was like a well balanced and sweet spicy pastry made out of just pure tobacco goodness. I loved it by itself, but with the CC, it just radiated goodness in my pipe.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That sounds good cosmic but I am not "THERE" yet where I feel comfortable mixing really good tobacco. To me it would feel like mixing Chateau Petrus with Krug Brut to make a rose spritzer.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Yes Dan,
The Marine in me just follows orders from senior Marines.
Carry on and move out

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Awesome ... You know I love the stuff! :P
I have a 2002 tin on the shelf right now.
Cosmic, I have mixed the two and you're right ... very nice.
I've also mixed CC with #2015, #5100 with Blackwoods Flake, etc ...
The McClelland blends just really complement each other in every combo so far.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Cobguy & cosmic,
I never really thought of doing this but you now have my curiosity piqued. I also have a sample of 2003 CC. 17 yr old DS with 11 yr old CC. I just may have to try this.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
17 yr old DS with 11 yr old CC
homer-drooling-desktop-wallpaper-425x280.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Aged DS is truly a magical thing. I am glad you got to try it. My next batch is only at the 7 year mark. :(

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Been sitting on a couple of tins from 99, mostly because the prep to smoke is so damned involved (man does that sound lazy!) I hadn't really thought of it as a candidate to improve because of the heavy stoving but this makes me think otherwise. Good to know it improves upon it's awesomeness!
Mike S.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
The stuff was amazing. I've been smoking out of what peteguy sent for a while now. Truly great stuff. I just put up a little review as promised. I'm glad we got to share this. Thank you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.