PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
What you can't hear is the long low whistle escaping from my lips every time I look at this beauty, while at the same time my brows raise in surprise. I know some savs can get up there in price, but this takes the cake. Way out of my price range, but interesting none the less. I thought I'd share.... https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=230829

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That pipe would not have made the 7-day set cut in last year's KC carving contest.
Probably not made the top twelve, in fact.
Just sayin' :lol:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since someone is bound to ask:
002_033_29229.jpg

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Rarity does have its price but that strikes me as something of a "push". The wood is nice but I agree not all that spectacular. Simply because someone says this is a rare example doesn't actually prove it's that. In this case I doubt it but there is a buyer for everything!

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah I love 320's but I'm not seeing what garners that kind of price.
Exactly... I mean, you'd think it was a Dunhill or something :roll: But I'm sure I've seen 320s in the Punto Oro line that were every bit (if not nicer) than that.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
$1480.00?!?! Puh-leese. 65.2 grams...that pipe needs to spend some time on the training ground. Finally, here's a much nicer pipe, that I assure you didn't cost me even 1/10th of that OVER PRICED G d'O.
brebbia-013-600x450.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
And what actually is a rare Italian pipe, in terms of production,
The Ascorti family offered to buy the brand (Caminetto), but they couldn't afford it at the time. So, Guiseppe Ascorti hastily equipped a new workshop, and then he left company which was essentially his own. But the complete crew whom he had trained in the old Caminetto workshop followed him. And thus they were able to re-start making pipes within a few weeks in 1980. For three months they sold pipes under the name Sergio. Only 800 to 1,000 Sergio pipes were released. Then Giuseppe Ascorti and his son Roberto founded a new company under their own last name.
sergio-006-600x450.jpg

Thank you, I'll be here all week... :wink:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Stile italiano non significa pigrizia è accettabile. Il materiale in eccesso sembra male a prescindere dal produttore.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Maybe the pictures are not clear, but it doesn't appear as such a wonderful briar to deserve that price.

Even if the wood is entirely without faults - and to state that I think they should add a X-ray certification cause we cannot see internal faults - we are still talking of the purity of a small piece of wood not of that of a diamond.

Lastly, for such a quality briar and price I should choose an original and unique shape, not one that Savinelli uses even for 30 dollars pipes.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Would somebody be so kind to explain what makes this pipe so expensive? I mean I am sure that Savinelli pitches a marketing spiel here ... exquisite $1480 cooks dinner for you pipe. Now all joke aside, what makes a pipe so pricey? No sign of precious metals, diamonds, to the naked eye it looks like any other good looking briar ...

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I am very pleased to say that pipe doesn't do it for me.

Without asking I am pretty sure my wife is also pleased about it.
But that is not to say it is not a nice pipe.

I have to admit that I can't bring myself to think any pipe is worth $1500.

We are talking about a guy that has bought underwear at a yard sale, so what do I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.