PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Yeah, I'd say that Joey A. is already set for life and certainly will prosper unless a giant dodo takes a copious crap on his head, destroying his musical ability.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wish the young fella well. The economics of jazz are a real hardship, so I'd advise him to build a strong non-musical career path, and keep working hard on the music, and see what happens. Jazz is about like the revenue stream of modern poetry (not including hip-hop genres which in some cases net huge profits). But if you put poetry on the page, and publish well, you'd better have an income from something else. Same thing is true of jazz.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The economics of jazz are a real hardship
Jazz fusion might pay a bit better. Don Fagen needs a new partner...the kid could probably make a little cash that way.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Some people are born with an innate understanding of music.
Some people are born with an innate dexterity that allows their hands to do exactly as their brain tells them to do.
A very small, exceptional group are born with both. This young man appears to be one of those.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Struggles? No struggles there. That's Joey Alexander.
He doesn't need a straight job.

He doesn't need to work with any smooth or fusion folks.
He has four albums.

He has been nominated for a Grammy three times.

He's played at Jazz at Lincoln Center.

He's played the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

He's played the Newport Jazz Festival.
He's 14.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Kid is great but I think his left hand needs more development. His right is spectacular.
At 13 I was the best drummer in the Brookline Mass school system. I was in the Jazz band, concert band, orchestra and marching band. I could play anything from the Who, Rolling Stones, Motown and others at that age. Biggest regret in my life was my parents not recognizing my talent and I never went to a music school.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I recognized it, Harris, and told them at every opportunity. They ignored me. They said you were too mean to your grandma's cat, and refused to pick up your room when asked. :crying:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
goege, just cause I killed her cats a few times and never picked up my room, they still should have never sent me to a boarding school with no music program.

Status
Not open for further replies.