PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I picked up four-pack of these flat, wide-mouth babies at Walmart today. Perfect for a 2 oz tin of tobacco, and I can get my hand in them. $5, "Ball Collection Elite" $11 thru Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/oz-Platinum-Collection-Elite-Jar/dp/B000Q664TO

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Nice pipe, Al.
Keep an eye open at the Goodwill. Occasionally you'll find them for 25 cents each. Sterilize them in purex water for 1/2 hours and they're good to go.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nope: Edit, they don't stack on top of each other, I had them on another large (pint) jar. Sorry! I will use them for my open jar blends that don't get used so quickly. To this point, I've avoided keeping too many open jars but sometimes wish for more variety/choices.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
BallJars-vi.jpg

Waiting....

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I've got to pick some up. They are much classier, and more user-friendly than the taller 1/2 pints.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
By the way, did you know that the company that owns Ball also owns Coleman?

And soon, they all will be owned by Scandinavian Tobacco? :wink:

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I love the wide mouth Ball mason jars. I use the 4 oz and 8 oz size for blends I want to try and jar the rest. The smaller sizes are nice so you can try a blend at different 6 mo/1 yr/2 yr intervals.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I bought two packs of these flat wide mouth ball jars from Walmart a few months back and think they are great. They do accommodate a tin's worth of baccy quite well. The low profile of these jars make them great for throwing in your bag when going on a trip or carrying around with you in a coat pocket. Love 'em.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Those 2-oz jars look very useful. I may have to suspend my boycott of Walmart stores to get some; I've never been in a Walmart store in my entire life.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got an assortment of Ball Jars. I've got a couple of those wide mouth 1/2 pint but I have far more of the regular 1/2 pint and pint jars. Also I've got a bunch of the quart sized wide mouth.
Also though at this point pretty much all my jars are used. I'm going to have to buy another case soon. My local supermarket always has them this time of year and for a great price.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
For those of you who are wondering how much will fit..
1/2 pint Ball Jars fit 2oz ribbon/shag (or slightly more really stuffed in there)

4oz Jelly Jars I usually get 1.75OZ of ribbon/shag tops in it

Pint Jars - I can fit 4oz of ribbon/shag

Quart Jars - I can fit 6-7oz of ribbon/shag

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I do have to say though that I find the regular pint or half pint jars easier to fill than those wide short half pint jars. I usually take a piece of paper and roll it up to act as a funnel and that works better with the taller jars.
The good thing about the wide mouth is it's easier to get the tobacco out. With the regular one's though I just dump a certain amount on a piece of paper and whatever I don't use I just pour back into the jar.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Nice pipe Al.

I use the small Ball jars for tobacco that I only want a small amount of. Stacking them is a trip.

I have the large and medium Mason jars for all other tobaccos.

I keep tobacco in the medium size jars for everyday tobaccos.

Large are for the cellar.

Use a funnel for fast loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.