PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Since this is my 1,000th post, I have decided to give a summary of why I have been here so long. Here is a link to my very first post as a noob.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/define-inhale-please
Since then, I have learned a lot about pipes, tobacco, and other aspects of this hobby. I have met gentlemen, scoundrels, jokesters, jerks, a few women pipers, and lots of friends. I have seen drama, as men get their accounts deleted and also incredible acts of generosity. I miss some guys that no longer post. If you look through old posts, you will ask what happened to him? This is the nature of online forums.
Some of my fondest memories are of the tamper exchanges and meeting some of you at the Chicago Pipe Show. Thanks again for the fun and friendship.
Winton

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Congratulations on 1000 posts, I always look forward to you posts as they are often entertaining and always informative. I am going to try to make the Chicago show next year so I hope to meet you there. Besides we're 1000 post buddies now, that's a bond that can't be broken! :rofl:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
It's funny, isn't it? You start out a rookie and evolve into one of the long beards around here.
This thoughtful paragraph really sums this place up:
"Since then, I have learned a lot about pipes, tobacco, and other aspects of this hobby. I have met gentlemen, scoundrels, jokesters, jerks, a few women pipers, and lots of friends. I have seen drama, as men get their accounts deleted and also incredible acts of generosity. I miss some guys that no longer post. If you look through old posts, you will ask what happened to him? This is the nature of online forums."
I'm so glad you're here, Winton.
Congratulations on the 1K mark.
Fnord

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
As an old-timer here, I'll say that winton doesn't post much in comparison to some, but when he does it's a well-thought out response. Congratulations on 1,000 posts. I look forward to the next 1,000 posts.
On a side note winton and I started on the site right around the same time and most of the "regulars" have moved on. Hell, even the Moderator team was different back then. Lawrence was just pstlpkr and not even a Mod yet and Bob (who had changed his name from python before I joined) was the sole Mod. We were much smaller then, but this forum was still new but growing. We had 15 minutes to edit our post rather than the current 45 minute limit and the main forum page had 20(?) of the most recent posts rather than the current 70. This also meant that threads had more pages since there were less posts per page. The "What Are You Smoking" threads had to be split after a certain point to keep them from throwing the whole page setup off.
Anyway, I'm ranting... Congrats again. Keep 'em coming. In your honor, tonight, I'm going to smoke some Rattray's Bag Piper's Dream and tamp with the tamper you crafted. Easily my favorite tamper for the sheer fact that it makes noise when you shake it.
-Jason

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Thanks for the comments. Actually, I have been planning this post for about a month. I wrote it several days ago. Once I got to the magic number, I cut / paste it from Word.
Jason, I had fun with that tamper. A few BBs in the metal casing gives the tamper some weight and also sound effects.
Winton

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
So it was BBs! I couldn't figure out what you put in there! I think my wife is fortunate that I smoke outside, otherwise she'd get pissed at me for rattling that thing all the time. Especially when I'm reading... It's like a retractable pen... click-click... click-click.
-Jason

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Wow congrats! I think I'm like 443 or something. I don't really look at it or care too much too much about how many posts I have THB. I'm just here to learn, shoot the breeze and enjoy a fantastic hobby with others of the same interests. Pretty cool you have 1000 though. That's alot of posting man! LOL

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congrats on your 1000th. Now stfu, you post too much. :nana:
I always enjoy reading your posts Winton, you seem to always have something to say when you post and never have an unkind word for anyone. Here's to your next 1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.