I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Same tobacco reviewed on SPC.

After waiting several days for my wife to finally leave out of town I decided to dip into our childs college fund to order some. Needless to say my kid will now have to go to public school and a community college! After breaking open the box and spilling half of it on the floor I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and sucked up all the little bits. I decided to just light the filter on the Dyson on fire and take long deep breaths of this amazing tobacco. Needless to say I can taste colors and see sounds. I will for sure be getting more ASAP!

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Iwan Ries has it on sale for $700. Load up!
    https://www.iwanries.com/WO-Larsen-2015-Limited-Release-Hand-Pressed-35oz-P15926C1600.cfm

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

SPC had 5 available, they have only 1 left

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Figured I would leave one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Marketing as exclusive and priced sky high? Who is paying that price?

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Duane, I prefer to pay full price. The sale at Iwan Ries is obviously going to pull in the riff raff,

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Just trying to do my part.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Marketing as exclusive and priced sky high? Who is paying that price?

The one who managed to sell a kidney, he uses an Iphone X.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old money tends to avoid conspicuous consumption, so it's gotta be dot-com boom people.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who is paying that price?

There are people in this world that collect top end sports cars. People that wear $10,000 shoes, every day. Guys that will drop $1000 on a meal that includes a live cobra field dressed at their table. They have accountants begging them to spend more money daily to get their expenses up enough to hit brackets that will help them save more money in the long run. You see these people in downtown Ashville, NC, buying artwork and piling it in a truck to start their evening bonfire with on the mountain.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Serfs who hit the big time, sounds like it. We get a lot of them here from South America and Asia, basically spending money like there's no tomorrow. I can't complain about entries into the local economy, but they do subsidize a kind of sycophant class of people who then, themselves, get quite wealthy. What is interesting to me is seeing the first layer of those businesses fail as the founders are revealed to be more lucky than wise.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would give up my $3000 first class ticket and fly... :::gulp::: coach seating :::sigh::: just once, to see what this was like.
    Cost of things is relative.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's true. If you have a hundred million in the bank, a $1000 tin of tobacco is just a regular tin of tobacco that is slightly more expensive.

If you live in a converted armoire in the middle of a dump, then it's your yearly income.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, we keep an eye out for folks that buy new appliances this time of year. A new refrigerator box would really be a nice addition to my home.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yesterday I bought a box of contractor bags. That's a whole new wing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You guys can joke but it is really disappointing that I can't get the 5% discount at SPC if they still had 5 tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

noquarter

Login to Send PM

30USD a bowl? Some people would actually spend more for a stogie.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Too dé classé. Those cheap tobaccos will ruin a good pipe.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most families that retain their wealth are stingy as hell. Some self-made millionaires are too, like J. Paul Getty who had a pay phone for his guests to use in his home. But others who find themselves making more money than they ever imagined are struck with an urgency to prove their wealth is real and so are the natural targets for $10,000 suits, $2 million automobiles, and $700 tins of tobacco. There is always a rising class of new rich who think this way, and marketing always puts out the bait and usually finds takers. $2K for a pair of shoes. $30K for a set of golf clubs, and so on. The tobacco is worth what someone will pay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope that SP and IR got those on spec. I'd probably fire the guy who ordered and paid for them. They've had those boxes going on about 2 years.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of the wealthy people I know are not stingy. They fund all sorts of community projects from art to battered women's shelters, to little league baseball teams. They do it without fanfare as a social duty. The elder Rockefeller was notoriously parsimonious. In truth he was fairly giving with his wealth.

My own view is that I can't see any return on a $1000 tin of any Larson blend. 3star Blue is my main tobacco of choice. I'll spend moneys for a 100% beaver hat as it will last me thirty years+. A wolf hat in the winter is warmer than any man made product, so I have one. Show me a pair of inexpensive winter boots as warm as mukluks, I'll buy a pair. If I'm gonna spend moneys, I want a return. If I donate moneys I want to see people benefit from such.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, so if I had a lot of money I'd spring for this ultra tobacco. But I don't think so as I've smoked on a budget (in the last year), and I'm good with that. So I'm an educated smoker within the parameters of my experience, which although not expansive, is sufficiently wide; and given what I know, even if I had the money, I'd say no. I'm an educated smoker. If we change the parameters, what if I had money and needed a yacht. Would I give a billion or two to someone I don't know and of whom I have no references as regards his yacht-building ability? No, I've bought too many things not to know that as the cost increases, so too must my research, and that in any case I buy the best product when I've done my homework.

I might go crazy if I were wealthy, but the culture shock of being able to buy a yacht would certainly be less the moe I adhered to prudent spending.

Biggest thing: I ain't giving it away.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have literally thrown up after signing for each of my houses, and each of my cars, so I know what money is worth. Would I buy a $1000 tobacco? Sure, if it was something I wanted. Would I buy this one? Nah, doesn't sound all that great to me. But, maybe a tin of 20 year old Escudo for $1000, my money would smack the table faster than your eyes could see.

If I ever struck oil in my backyard, I'd be more likely to buy a crate of Dunhills, smoke them once, and toss them out the car window like apple cores, than to just buy any old tobacco with a high price tag.

But something with age, made with something rare like Syrian latakia, or something no longer produced like War Horse... I'd be willing to lay down some big money to try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted in wrong section.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was in general discussion, so I moved it to tobacco discussion. But, it could have been in either.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think finding something blended just the way you like at more-or-less the going rate is probably as satisfying as pipe smoking is going to get. Beyond that, it's a head trip, and to those who have the desire and the money, is cheap at any price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everything about smoking or any other unnecessary vice or purely personal choice, is a "head trip" if I understand your use of the term. totally unnecessary, totally selfish and all about self-satisfaction. There is nothing wrong with that, it's a personal choice. Everyone deserves a wee vice which they can afford.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

something no longer produced like War Horse

great news...

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, ha ha, I meant... well, the old stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I have literally thrown up after signing for each of my houses, and each of my cars, so I know what money is worth. Would I buy a $1000 tobacco? Sure, if it was something I wanted. Would I buy this one? Nah, doesn't sound all that great to me. But, maybe a tin of 20 year old Escudo for $1000, my money would smack the table faster than your eyes could see.

I have 16 year old Escudo. Can I put you down for $800?

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a half pound of 20 year old Penzance. Serious offers only, starting at $799.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

I still say a tin of FVF or Ennerdale is priceless compared to this stuff

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

I have a half pound of 20 year old Penzance. Serious offers only, starting at $799.

jp, could you possibly send me 2 flakes of this?

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If the 15 or so participants on this thread each ponied up $47, it could be divided into parcels of 6.5 grams each...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$30K for a set of golf clubs, and so on. The tobacco is worth what someone will pay.

But the clubs have $28000 worth of gold inlays! I use the irons for barter. Traded one for a 1955 beaujolais and a tin of tobacco salvaged from The Titanic.

And the rich people I know or have observed aren't stingy, nor profligate, nor out to impress. There seems to be a maxim that the older the money, the more unobtrusive it is. Yes, exceptions on all ends of the spectrum.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heck yeh, Sable, PayPal? What’s shipping nowadays, about $400?

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Heck yeh, Sable, PayPal? What’s shipping nowadays, about $400?

Heaven forfend! I'm no gouger! Shipping is only $150 for two day priority mail! Shall I put you down for two? You get a discount on shipping. Only $225 and it's still 2 day priority mail, assuming the USPS doesn't lose it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Well, there are some out there that are paying thousands for a single bottle of whiskey. $100-$200+ a shot. Unless they are mega rich, these people are a little bit nuts. Probably has a lot to do with hype and bragging rights. But to each his own.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

wasnsfisher

Login to Send PM

Hope i never have that much money that I can justify spending so friv.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you had the money it wouldn't be frivolous, it would be well earned and enjoyable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Posted in wrong section.

It was in general discussion, so I moved it to tobacco discussion. But, it could have been in either.

Thanks Cosmic. When I opened this thread, I thought we would just laugh and let it go, however it went to another direction as we can see.

If I'm gonna spend moneys, I want a return. If I donate moneys I want to see people benefit from such.

You, sir, are a wise man.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I suppose it comes down to priorities. I have several financially successful friends and they tend to be very careful with their money. I was out to dinner with one of them, who has a very healthy estate that she built up through shrewd investments who was talking about her need to look for a new car. She loves the Tesla, but says that she can't really afford anything that pricey. She's going to look for a good low mileage used car.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like her style. That's what it is all about, spending one's money7s in a way that provides satisfaction and comfort. Some people just spend too much time worrying about how others spend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A friend of my business lost her husband a few years ago, and she immediately started downsizing everything. He had started several car rental companies that everyone knows the names of. But, he had just bought a Maserati right before he passed away. She is in her mid 60's and has never really had to drive herself. She tried to sell the car, but her son told her that her husband still owed more than the car was worth. So, for a couple of years, you'd see this Maserati jumping at stops signs, rev'ing up, running over curbs, swiping mailboxes, with this little bitty woman at the wheel. Her son finally agreed to sell it for her when the sides of the body were starting to look like the texture of a crumpled paper bag.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope she drove the monster with a big smile on her face, thoroughly enjoying herself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Michael, that's hilarious! Like I said, it's about priorities. My friend will be driving yet another used car, but she put her nieces and nephew through college and spends a lot of time and money promoting reading and childhood literacy. For some it's a $1000 an ounce tobacco. For others, it's making sure that kids can read.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Well, there are some out there that are paying thousands for a single bottle of whiskey. $100-$200+ a shot."

World's most expensive dram of Scotch was a fake.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-41695774

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   monkeylyf, 64alex, craiginthecorn, lawdawg, alaskanpiper, danimalia, derhammer, gatorlope, donjgiles, upnorth1