PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
So, in an attempt to detox from this website, I am getting addicted to another.

The Art of Manliness.
Part of being a man is being competent and effective in the world. To do that, you’ve got to have skills. A man wants to know (or at least feel like he knows) that no matter what situation he’s placed in, he’ll be able to handle himself — to act rather than be acted upon. Hence our incessant drive to figure out what skills we’ll need to know in order to demonstrate confidence and capability in our manly roles as procreators, protectors, and providers.
So here is their ideas of manly skills. I hope you find this article interesting as I did.

I have to say, it feels great to read this website because it reminds me where we're from. I'll admit to not knowing many of those.
100 Skills Every Man Should Know

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Read em all, Skippering a Boat got me a one way ticket to S Asia, most of them you learn by growing up with decent Parents, something Severly lacking nowadays.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can claim many of those skills, but not all by a long shot. I'd add at least one counter-intuitive skill, socializing with cat. For "cat guys" this comes naturally, but if you are not a cat guy, or not at all a cat guy, you may well need this to get along with a girlfriend's or wife's cat. Much more important than that, communing with a cat will teach you a lot about relating to a woman. They are sometimes indirect, often subtle, usually contradictory, needy and independent in equal parts, and use loads of non-verbal signals nearly continually. If you can plumb the mysteries of a cat, you will go a long way toward understanding the even more profound complexities of a woman. Disclaimer: That's everything I know about getting along with women.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
One does not choose to socialize with a cat. If a cat decides to acknowledge your existence be grateful. If you are deemed worthy to pet it you'll will be shown exactly where the cat can be petted. Food is to be furnished on demand......like now you stupid sleeping human. Have had cats all my life and they definitely have a superiority complex.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Spend a little time in a combat zone. You won't need a web site to help you feel confident and self reliant. If you survive that experience, self doubt will never be a problem.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Here we go again... :roll:
Care to elaborate?
Sure:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-dying-art-of-manliness

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-dying-art-of-manliness-pt-ii

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lost-manly-arts#post-543736

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cute-and-other-unmanly-expressions#post-588539
Or the short version:

OP - Laments or expounds on what they think "being a man" is...

P1 - Agrees, chuckles, guffaws...

P2 - Inputs a sarcastic rejoinder...

P3 - States that there isn't anything less manly than discussing manilness

... madness ensues, with included frivolity, stamped on feelings, and then someone quits the forums in disgust before the thread is closed.
I'm glad you're enjoying the AoM forum, and look forward to seeing what this thread turns into. #haspopcorn #hasbeer
-- Pat

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've never broken a door down, and am not about to for the test! And I don't do free weights, and not about to. So there are three things I've not done, though who knows, a door may need breaking down tomorrow. Does forcing a locked door count? Door wasn't broken, only the lock! :)
I've been lucky to have all these experiences due to how I grew up, where, and what kind of parents. Most of them were experiences, and less so skills.

It's the same trite thing over and over. Be yourself, not some trite caricature of what you think a man is. If you are not true to yourself, then everyone will see that long before they see who you are. Most of that stuff is outdated and antiquated, IMO.
Read through those threads, Peck had the absolute best post on one of them. I still crack up at it.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
t's the same trite thing over and over. Be yourself, not some trite caricature of what you think a man is. If you are not true to yourself, then everyone will see that long before they see who you are. Most of that stuff is outdated and antiquated, IMO.
Read through those threads, Peck had the absolute best post on one of them. I still crack up at it.
The art if manliness... is like a "How to" for hipsters!

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I didn't see charging an iPhone or posting an Instagram?!?

Actually I did not get much farther than #7; probably would pass out and simulate playing dead if confronted with a bear...

I tend to agree with Michael, some of this stuff has nothing to do with the quality of a man.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
I like TAOM web site! They had a great one on assembly of a "bug out bag" that I took to hart - except amongst all the guns, MRE's and paracord there was not a single pipe nor tobacco!
Plugugly

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
MANLINESS!!! We haven't had a manliness thread in a long time. The best part of a manliness thread is all of the squirming that goes on.
The thing of it is that the topic is so subjective. I agree that the link portrays a sort of hipster nostalgia for an imaginary era, complete with vintage photographs, etc. It's nicely done. But it's also woefully incomplete. Where, for example, is "How to build a shelter"? What about other things a manly man should know, like washing yor pubic hair off the soap before returning it to the tray prior to exiting the shower? And there's no mention of knowing the proper way to sodomize a gerbil.
What use is there for a list that fails to touch on these essential points. I could go on, but you get my drift.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I forgot the bear wrestling bit! Most men know how to avoid such things, and I esp. like the candy bar under someone else's tent, better than just running faster than your hiking mates!
And the old timey style photos show incorrect form! And don't require J and L stroking to keep a single paddle canoe straight! And skippering a boat should include navigation, use of sextant—or, now an iPhone GPS!— and rules of the road, which 12 foot day sailers do not. (And the launch is nearby in case of any mishap.)
Now, my favorite clue as to someone questioning his own manliness: frequent reference to a "man cave". Ugh. I hate that term, even if so makes me a girly-man.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cats, there's a lot to them. Superiority complex, yes. But also a stronger companionability trait than the usual stereotype. Many follow you from room to room. Some will actually walk with their owners. The more room you give them (sometimes) the less royal they become. The reason cats often gravitate to the people in a room who like them least is because they are the people who don't look at them, which in cat body language is extremely good manners and most inviting. They are comically hauty, true, but a lot more is going on. Some cats will absolutely staff a nursing station if you are down sick.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
And there's no mention of knowing the proper way to sodomize a gerbil.
Jesse ... start by securing it in a tube ... like so:
Hamster+toilet+tube.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.