PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Just had a bowl of 100% perique. That had such incredible tongue-bite, I had to stop in only a minute. I also got a huge head rush, it must have been strong stuff. I can see why it is considered the "truffle of pipe tobacco," it smells like truffles and tastes very strong with the predominant taste being simular to latakia with tons of black and red pepper thrown in. I actually liked the flavor and would have kept at it, had it not bit so hard. It came on the wet side, so that could have been part of the problem. Next stop, 100% latakia and then an experiment of 50% latakia 50% perique.
Edit: Corrected the spelling of one word. :D

chamartia

Lurker
Aug 3, 2012
Perhaps this is still common knowledge, but Aleister Crowley was reputed to smoke straight perique in his pipe. This was, of course, the inspiration for the old (Irwin) Friedman and (Greg) Pease blend, "Aleister."

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Hell,he may have mean't "bowel"!But if you can get tongue bite from smokin a "bowel" full of Perique,where's your head at?? :rofl:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I really enjoyed the flavor, I'm thinking 75% latakia and 25% perquie might be awesome. I'm going to start blending my own baccy now, after having the 100% latakia and realizing it was so amazingly good on its own, I am starting to think I really have a future of blending my own tobaccos and mabey even making a line of my own if I really get creative with it in the future. 100% latakia was better than most of the English blends I have, I may have strange tastes in baccy.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
As I understand it, smoking straight perique is the pipe smoking equivalent of eating a ghost pepper.
I admire your initiative!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have (like many others including Kevin) tried smoking straight Perique.

I happen to like it, but it is very strong.

As for being wet, I think adding a pinch to some VaPers "wet" is simply out of this world.

If you allow it to dry out Perique loses a lot of its ahmmm... charm.
In my review of Park Lane Turkish Mystery I characterized Perique a bit differently. I can agree with your assessment of the aroma where you characterize it as resembling a "truffle", but more to my mind is reminds me of loam, or peat.

Perique; commonly called "peppery" but is rather a spicy-light-vinegar-tannin filled flavor. (I love me some Perique, and something I know intimately)
:puffy:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I tried smoking some straight perique once--lo these many years ago. I spent the next several hours alternating between being afraid I would die, and afraid I wouldn't. I learned why perique is a blending tobacco, added in very small quantities.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Ah, the experimenting has begun.. be sure to let us know what you think of blending and the 100% Lat..

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I already did on the 100% lat, that was amazing, kinda low on flavor but very nice and smokey with low nicotine. I loved it, and pure latakia beat out pretty much every English blend I got. I must have strange tastes. 75% latakia and 25% perique will probabley be my English of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.