PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Has anyone heard what the availability of the 10 year old Perique is?

The article on this site has peaked my interest and as yet, I've not

been able to find any, in either a blend of as a blending component.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
The only thing that we know is that the barrel was sold to McClelland. We do not know what blends will contain it or whether they or going to make a new blend with it or just use it in their existing blends.
From what we were told, blends that contained it would not be available until 2011. I am not sure if that is still holding firm or if they changed their minds on it.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
This seems to have turned into a non-event.
Based on what we were originally told, we anticipated some special new "Decade Perique Blend" hitting the market.
After we filmed and published the "official unveiling", in March 2010, we were later informed that McClelland actually received the first barrel before this event.
Therefore, the barrel being opened on the video is actually the 2nd barrel.
I spoke to Mary McNeil at the Chicago show in May 2010 to inquire about it.
It seems that McClelland just added this one barrel of Perique to the rest of their inventory and started mixing it into all of their blends that have Perique in them.
So it is spread throughout the entire line of McClelland tobaccos.
Most likely, you have already been smoking it.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Talk about an EPIC FAIL. I was looking to buy a tin if they made a special blend. This doesn't seem like the smartest business decision ever given the fact that most pipe smokers would have paid more for this.
I hope they somehow reconsider. Two cents.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Thanks for the info....seems like they had a golden opportunity to get a premium price($ 25.00/tin ) for the pure product so that people could use it for blending.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
Im sure they tried blending it to come up with something special, but in the process found it not to enhance anything versus perique that was only aged for a year in the barrell. Just a thought.....If that was the case than I would have just tinned it as a blender and sold it on mere hype alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.