PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
I had the pleasure of trying some 10 year-old Classic Samsun, and it blew my mind. It was one of the most unique tasting blends I've ever had. I bought a tin of it fresh from SmokingPipes, and though it's good, it's nothing like the aged. Are there any other blends that would even come close to mimicking aged Samsun? Or am I forever condemned to searching the earth for another aged sample?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I love it fresh, and I've put several tins in the cellar to age. I can't wait to try it in few years.
There's a real bright note in the flavor which I'm not sure comes from the virginias or the samsun. That combined with just enough sweetness and a little nuttiness. Great stuff!

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
After reading the few comments here I hopped onto Smoking Pipes to add a few tins to my cart and I noticed something odd. The label says (in big letters) " Classic Samsun" and then below it in smaller letters "The finest Maden-Canek".
The reason I found this odd is because there is no tobacco variety known as "Maden -Canek". There is Samsun-Maden and there is Samsun Canik and they both taste completely different from one another. So I wonder... What tobacco is in this? Samun-Maden or Samsun-Canek? Or maybe a combination of both? Anyone have a tin in front of them? Maybe it's listed in the fine print on the back of the label.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The back of the tin:
Classic Samsun​

In the hinterlands just south of the Black Sea in Eastern Turkey, these prized Oriental tobaccos draw their sweet, nutty flavor from the rocky soil as they have done for 350 years. Enjoy the distinctive, mellow, pleasant character of the famed Samsun in this fine blend.
The McClelland website's "Spotlight On The Legendary Orientals" is a good read,

but scarcely more informative about Canek.
GrandOrientals-BG-1.jpg
GrandOrientals-BG-2.jpg

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I also found a nice article about Turkish tobacco, it was in Turkish (language), I will try to translate it to English as soon as I find some spare time.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Thanks guys!, After reading the McClelland info sheet it appears they use Samsun-Maden and Samsun-Canik . They probably found it easier to just say Samsun Maden-Canik. Saves on the label space etc.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
jitterbugdude, I had the same question when I saw the label for the first time. The tin I got from SmokingPipes actually had about a year of age on it. But that 10 year...man, it was something special. Next up to try is Drama Reserve.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Cool! I just put 10 in my cart but I have to wait till next paycheck as I just got 10 tins of "40th year" in the mail yesterday.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Of all of their Grand Orientals I've tried they are all great but my absolute favorite is the discontinued Yenidje Highlander.
Jitter that 40th is great. I've got one open and a few stored away for aging.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
As a little bump to this thread, I'll mention that i found a great application of a couple of the Grand Orientals (besides just smoking them alone). 40% Yenice Agonya, 40% Smyrna #1 and 20% latakia comes pretty damn close to the old Balkan Sobranie white label. Has a sublime incense and olive with a little floral note, alongside the smoky latakia like the old Sobranie.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Orientals can turn to magic when aged. Although sometimes, too much age (30 years+) can wash them out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.