PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Hello all,

I learned about drying baccy in the microwave on this forum, and I use the method often (only when drying is needed, of course). 8 to 10 seconds seems to work best for me most of the time. Any of you use (and like) this method? Any of you detest it? It might not be ideal, but it sure is convenient...

Dec 28, 2015
Absolutely. And if you ever dry any SG chocolate Flake in the microwave it’s smells like baked brownies.

Jan 8, 2013
I've done it, as I'm sure many here have, but I really don't prefer it or recommend it. With a microwave, even with 5 to 10 second increments, it's very easy to over dry your tobacco. I prefer using a coffee cup warmer like this...
coffee-cup-warmer.jpg

That's actually the exact model I use. I put my tobacco in a flat bottomed coffee filter, and set it on the warmer on low heat, and just reach over and stir it around a bit every couple minutes while checking it's moisture level. If I'm in more of a hurry, I'll use the high setting. It takes a little longer, but still quicker than air drying alone, and you're less likely to turn your tobacco into saw dust.
Edit to add: As a bonus you fill the room with the wonderful smell of the tobacco while it's warming :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've never done this. Typically if the blend is too moist in my opinion I just make sure to load the bowl and let it sit for 15-20 mins before I light it up, but that really doesn't happen often. The only blend that comes to mind right away is Full Virginia Flake that requires wait time of that manner.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I will use a microwave and it works great for me; 10s of drying moist baccy and I get a smoke with fewer issues. I notice no loss in flavour. Tobacco that is dry smokes better for me and I get more joy from it. I find more moist baccy yields a lamer, moist and steamy smoke. If you feel the desire for a pipe without air drying, the 10s microwave trick rocks :puffy: YMMV

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've never used a microwave. For me, I set out a couple of pipefuls on a copy of The Pipe Collector for 15 minuted or so before loading. The paper seems to absorb moisture while the air exposure does so as well.

Mike S.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I don't remember ever doing this but don't really see a problem with it if it works for you. I tend to put my moist tobacco on a tray or tin lid and place that on top of my cable TV box. It provides just enough heat to dry it very gently and reasonably quickly.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I use an air conditioner. Tins don't really seal, and jars can be left partially open by simply being sloppy about twisting tight the lid. Laziness can be your friend (except with munitions).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
In using the microwave to dry tobacco it's a good idea to leave it sit for a minute or two after taking it out as there is still a lot of moisture even after ten seconds blasting. That minute or two allows the remaining moisture to air off leaving a perfectly ready to smoke pile of baccy.
Regards,
Jay.

Dec 28, 2015
I agree Jay. And I might add that the only tobacco I ever feel the need to microwave is Samuel Gawith. A few minutes air drying suffices for everything else. But I have air dried SG flakes for over 4 hours before and they were still too moist. Of course we have pretty high humidity down here in Mississippi.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I use this method every now and then when I haven’t planned my smokes out too well. I like to dry most of my tobacco to almost a crisp but I must be very clear about this, certain British tobaccos are meant to be smoked at the moisture level their packed with (at least that’s my assumption because they are much more flavorful when moist). I find this especially true with Condor and St. Bruno! Brits are well known for liking a little bit more moisture in their tobacco and after smoking these straight from the pouch, I understand why. There is a little bit of a learning curve to smoke these so moist but once ya get it down there is no going back. I like the scented tobaccos moist and the unadulterated ones dry.

Jun 27, 2016
I prefer a heatgun and a flour sifter over the nuker to dry tobacco, because I believe that I am boiling the tobacco from inside-out with the microwave. :puffpipe:

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I prefer using my toaster oven. I leave the door open and set the temperature to around 160F. Only takes a couple minutes this way.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hawky454: Thanks for the added info,I recall I had read about this phenomenon' somewhere before, despite the fact with the aforementioned tobaccos I must leave them to air some 10-20min prior to smoke same as with other types of tobaccos including my Burley forwards,in order to minimize the risk of getting tongue bite, also in all probability my smoking techniques need to be improved,

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In some climates— think deep South in US in the Summer— Microwave is essential, unless you have a highly air-conditioned room and can leave the tobacco out for several hours.
Whatever works! Timing and methods vary a lot between seasons in most places.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I fart on my tobacco too dry it out.
Microwaving tobacco is deadly to your health. It has been proven that gamma radiation from microwaves is nothing to mess around with. I would never microwave my tobacco. I cube cut it and let it sit for as long as it takes. The pipe Gods are watching you blasphemer microwavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.