PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I started building my cellar essentially this June, after never having more than 2 oz. on hand.
Today after adding a couple offerings from McClelland, some SG BBF, a couple Dunhill Flake, and some Klondike Gold Flake, I hit the 10 pound marker.
I'm slowing down for a bit, but would like to see 20-25 lbs by the end of next year....

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Tarak: that's how you do it, tin by tin, bulk bag by bulk bag. Congrats on an excellent start

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm slowing down a bit as well. I've packed away 12-15lbs or so in the past 6 or 8 months myself, which is a lot for me. Although I'm expecting some for Christmas and my B-day which is in January.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I am at 13 lbs at the moment and am also cutting back the end of the year. 1 or maybe 2 more TAD's and time to start saving up some cash.

daxp

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
Wow. I don't think I even have a pound, and I bought 8oz today! I usually only buy new tobacco when I'm running low. I still have 6oz, so I normally wouldn't have bought anything, but I noticed some bulk flake tobacco I had seen online in my local shop when I was getting a cigar to make pipe mud and well, I couldn't just leave it there!

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
WTG tarak. 10lbs is the goal for me. I'm about half way there. I think I'm done with bulk purchases. I'm just looking to buy tins now.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks to the McClelland deal at P&C I'll be at

2lbs :) you've got a nice head start on me!

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Just put some more vintage Christmas Cheer in the cellar last night that pushed me over the 19 lb. mark, but next to Peck I still feel like a piker. :worship:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I must admit that I'm puzzeled. I've not commented on any thread regarding 'cellaring' because I have trouble actually committing to any one tobacco.
After a year of committed pipe smoking (i smoked a pipe 40 years ago and switched to cigars for 35 years) I'm still experimenting with all different types of Va's/Va/pers; latakia 'English' with and without oriental, burley, cavandish etc etc.
I have about 30 tins opened in mason jars, always looking for the 'right blend'.
How do you guys know that you have found yours and are willing to get 10 to 50 lbs of those leaves??
Maybe its just a commitment problem on my end?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Maybe its just a commitment problem on my end?

Could be, but if a blend doesn't strike a chord somewhere in your gut then maybe it's best not to cellar it. I remember the first time I had Christmas Cheer. I cracked a tin of '06 I bought from Steve(pipestud.) It would not be melodramatic to say that first bowl was transcendent. I immediately knew this was something I wanted to cellar.
My journey has been nearly identical to yours. I casually smoked a pipe 25 years ago and then switched to cigars. I've been dedicated to the pipe for over a year now and currently have 47 open tins looking for what I enjoy and what is worth cellaring. I believe most blends benefit from some aging, or in the case of VA flakes, a lot of aging. I look at a cellar more in terms of the aging benefit than a scarcity/tax issue, though that is also a concern.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I haven't really determined what my goal cellar weight is at this point. I know that I'm somewhere in the mid 40's in terms of total weight but I haven't inventoried my tobaccos in quite some time. I'll be undergoing that process here soon to see where I'm at.
The only thing limiting me at this point is that I am out of space to put stuff. I'll have to start hording tobacco under my bed with the ammo boxes :D

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm in the same situation as Allan. I have a pound or so of each of my favorite blends, but by and large

most of my cellar is composed of jars of sampled tins. And the end is nowhere in sight!

Too many blends still on my bucket list; and as I approach 66 yrs. of age I have to start

considering if I will live long enough to smoke everything I've already got.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I have close to 150 lbs. or thereabouts. It's taken me a good ten years. My tastes haven't changed in that time, and I limit myself to about ten blends or so. Half VA and half Lat blends. Mainly bulk in jars, with an assortment of tins.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Congrats Tarak!
I'm working on building a cellar myself.
I would like to make an order of approximately $100.00 every month, starting with Dunhill Flake, Rotary Navy Cut, McClelland's Brindle and Blackwoods flakes, MacBaren's Old Dark Fired and Navy Flake, Nightcap, MM965, and G.L. Pease's Westminster, before I look into trying a lot of new blends. Potential candidates include Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Capstan Blue, and a few more Virginia flakes. I'd also like to see a few aromatics in my cellar by this time next year.
The problem is, I'm extremely frugal, and just can't bring myself to spend $100.00 a month on things I want.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tarak, congrats on hitting the ten pound mark. You are on your way to the 500 I know you set for yourself. LOL Keep up the good work, you are young enough so that by the time you get to be an old man like me, your cellar will be awesome.
Allan, the way I did it was when I found a blend I really enjoyed and found myself reaching for time and again, I knew it was time to load up. I think you really like Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls if memory serves. You should be loading up on it now. If there are other blends that you really like, then start buying in quantity. Before long you will have a nice sized cellar.
Lost, I get the frugal thing, I am very frugal in many aspects of my life. What you should look at is the price you have to pay now is never going to be cheaper. If you wait to stock your cellar, the tins you pay 9.00 for today, will be 25 in a few years. So look at it like every tin you buy, you are saving 14.00. So if you buy ten tins, you are saving 140.00. See how easy it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.