Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

10% off Smokingpipes.com

(36 posts)
  1. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There were some things I couldn't live without after seeing this sale, which lasts through Sunday:

Clark Layton Sloth pipe. Clark is a great young American carver.

1 lb of Vintage Syrian. Glad we cleared up the rumors. Soon I'll have 6lb in the cellar.

250g SG FVF. Can never have enough of that in the cellar.

1 tub Carter Hall. Yum!

1 tin Samuel Gawith: Black XX Because I love the flavor! Tho it is so strong, I am stuck with 1/4 bowls. lol

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Picked up some Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant and some 507C Virginia Slices

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife broke her ankle in three places (long story, she's strong and determined) so I can't go to the TAPS pipe show tomorrow. However, this sale .... Uh-oh.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It got me too. I love smoking pipes! I also love not worrying whether my order will arrive or not and what kind of condition it will be in when it does.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up my second Savinelli Quercia, almost a quarter pound of pipe: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?tag=2932

A bit of a novelty but given that I almost never clench the overall design is really appealing.
    The rustication looks nice in person and the pipe sits with just a bit of wobble so it's not entirely impractical either.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

-I will not look I will not work nanananana I will not look ...

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

My 2017 Weaver commission is on the horizon. I have to be good.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. thesillyoldbear

thesillyoldbear

Login to Send PM

My wife broke her ankle in three places (long story, she's strong and determined) so I can't go to the TAPS pipe show tomorrow. However, this sale .... Uh-oh.

That's awful, I'm so sorry. Please give her our best.

Marketing Manager, Smokingpipes Europe
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm waiting on an estate evaluation that doesn't look like it's going to happen before the sale is over. Oh well. It looks like P&C has countered the 10% sale with a 15% sale, but of course with reservation.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

It's only a counter if they have what you want in stock, and delivered this year.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got the last Salty Dog
    Loaded up the cart and the dreaded "only one left" appeared
    Got some FVF and St James
    And some St James Woods

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meh. 10% off is not enticing enough for me to bite.

20% off of 1 pound bags of Mac Baren (including Vintage Syrian) at P&C all month.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It depends how on the edge you are, whether ten percent is enough. If you are wavering on the brink, ten bucks off a one hundred dollar pipe (or supply your price range) might just do the trick. Though, you're right, it won't compel you to shop for a pipe you hadn't already spotted.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good point, mso.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was wavering on the edge, got this beauty and a 1.5 lb box of LNF for the cellar:

print screen windows

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was enough for me, but I'm easy, just ask my wife.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dread, which pipe is that? Love the look

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Savinelli New Art shape #626. I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on it but the sale just mad it too easy. I love the saddle stem on the bent Apple.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As noted on another thread, I anted up for a little saddle stem straight billiard English estate pipe, a Plymouth, that has been languishing on the page for more than a year. Obviously, no beauty queen, but very light weight for clenching, and unsmoked. It was inexpensive to start with and discounted besides, and I kept visiting it, so I guess it was about time. Bought a bit of C&D Old Joe Krantz to go with it, an old favorite. Hardly a splurge, but a few bucks saved on the discount.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. swilford

swilford

Login to Send PM

Dread:

Good call on the New Art. The briar/acrylic saddle stem combo makes these both seriously cool and unlikely to ever happen again from Savinelli. These were made at least a decade ago (though we weren't able to pin down the specific years).

Sykes

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet - good info. Definitely a neat looking pipe. Thanks Sykes!

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up over 3 pounds of various tobaccos. Kramers/PS LTF/Warhorse Green

Jason
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobaccos less than "Medium To Strong" are invisible to me.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mso, sorry to hear about the Mrs. Hope she gets better soon! Glad some of you shopped this sale. P&C is great, but I have to shop orders to Oregon and smuggle them home. Not worth the trouble all the time. Besides, like mos said, it all started with a pipe, then adding stuff to get to free shipping...snd beyond.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dread you just made me buy one of the 626 new art pipes too. It's all your fault.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I gladly take full responsibility. Neat looking pipes!

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked-up a pound and a half of Haddo's.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, the sale is over, but hats off to smokingpipes for its quick draw delivery. I ordered on Saturday night, they shipped on Sunday evening at the low-priced first class rate, it has arrived in town here (Raleigh N.C.) and should deliver tomorrow. This is the cheap postal rate. My order is an unsmoked English estate and a small bag of Old Joe Krantz. I needed a morale booster, so kudos again to SP; sometimes I joke that they ship to me before I click on "add to cart."

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, the sale is over, but hats off to smokingpipes for its quick draw delivery. I ordered on Saturday night, they shipped on Sunday evening at the low-priced first class rate, it has arrived in town here (Raleigh N.C.) and should deliver tomorrow. This is the cheap postal rate. My order is an unsmoked English estate and a small bag of Old Joe Krantz. I needed a morale booster, so kudos again to SP; sometimes I joke that they ship to me before I click on "add to cart."

They are fast. I also have great luck with TobaccoPipes.com. Especially if you just want 1 or 2 tins.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm teased to buy tobacco from the States for a while now. Almost all of the American-Blends aren't available in Germany (does anybody know why? I mean, we also have Danish-Tobaccos, tobaccos from england, everywhere - just no american tobaccos)

Is it allowed to buy tobacco from America, or will I get in trouble with the Toll/Customs duty?
    And how much of shipping costs would I have to expect? Is it even worth it?

Regards

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Joke's on me; the USPS sent the smokingpipes order on to Greensboro, N.C., by error, but it's made it back to Raleigh and could still make it here today or probably tomorrow. No big deal, but SP had done so well firing off the package, then USPS dropped the ball, but quickly corrected the error. It's back in Raleigh now. Such is life. At least I can watch the action on the tracking system.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple days yet before mine arrives. but I am glad your package didn't encounter anything worse than a bit of delay, Mso!

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Despite it's little tour around the state, the pipe and leaf arrived at the originally proposed ETA. Better yet, the pipe is somewhat better than I visualized it. SP tries to be accurate and specific about its estate pipes, so this one far exceeded expectation. It has a pleasing oval shank not mentioned in the description. In the photo, the finish looked a bit faded, but in person it is bright and has nice grain. I think the stem may have been mis-identified as Vulcanite, but it appears to be acrylic. In any case, the stem is bright and snappy looking. The pipe is unsmoked as described, light weight, and much more jaunty and not plain Jane as I thought it might be. Frankly, it was somewhat surprising, in a good way. As promised, I fired that baby right up, with some Lane's English Luxury, and the pipe is a fine smoker. I don't want to get starry eyed, and jinx the deal, but this looks to me like a good pipe, and smokes as if broken in. The scratches and dark spots carefully noted in the online description are there but not noticeable. I'm picky, but these are inconspicuous blemishes. Today I have to jar the Old Joe Krantz; nice to have it back in my "cellar."

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. thesillyoldbear

thesillyoldbear

Login to Send PM

Glad it got to mate, despite its tour of the East Coast. Enjoy that pipe

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'oldbear, the snappy service from SP is part of the fun. I try not to be an instant gratification person, but brisk delivery (especially at the basic shipping rate) adds to the fun, appeals to the kid inside me. I remember as a child waiting for most of a year for an inflatable tuna clipper beach toy from a canned tuna maker, an excruciating wait. SP makes up for these experiences. It is certainly an enticement to shop with you. Even the post office got onboard after their muck-up.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Deniz: Based on my experience, it might be worth trying under the condition you keep ordered quanties low,not exceeding,say two packs at least for the first few times,Secundo:Smokingpipes.com offers that UPS Supersaver international shipping method which is the cheapest way you can imagine(but if using this method,it will keep to arrive up to a month-(UPS saver deliveries are resorted in switcherland and resended further on from there)German customs as well as ours are renowned being pretty pedantical.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tbradsim1, aldecaker, acidpox, emile7, sholto, morgansteele, marc75, olkofri, jiminks, upnorth1