.10 Cent Coffee And The Greasy Spoon

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by indianafrank
  • Latest reply from madox07
  1. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I frequent a greasy spoon diner near my home. It’s in a rural setting. The two nearest towns have about 3500 people each. But the diner is always packed.

They charge .10 for a cup of coffee. Been charging that since 1952. This morning I had two eggs, home fries, toast and 3 cups of coffee. The bill with tax was $4.37. And they only charged me a dime for 3 cups.

When I visit my son in the D.C area, breakfast for myself, my son, wife, and 5 year old grand daughter is almost $50. And it’s not a greasy spoon breakfast either.

I know eggs are eggs. But there's something about that greasy spoon food that I enjoy.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love country diners. Miss Blues in Hundred, WV is one of the best. Although, they don't have .10 coffee with free refills. That's a good deal.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

.10 coffee, if there was anywhere that did that around here, and allowed smoking, they'd have to call the cops to get me to leave. My mom owned a diner that allowed smoking, but she totally closed it down a couple of years ago. She was just too old. But they had $1 coffee, which I thought was great. I still don't understand how fried bologna is a breakfast thing. My whole life in the South, and blech.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yum! Bologna, eggs and gravy! Not often but, I do get a craving now and then. Such was fairly regular breakfast fare in the jail we sometimes had to pull a shift in.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was in college we hung out and smoked 24/7 drinking coffee at Perkins... greasy breakfast food, coffee, and Cigarettes. I think I lived a good four years on nothing else. Such good memories.... ah to be young and invincible.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love that kind of food. Just got back from a diner to read this. lol. I will eat that food until the doctor says I can't. nom nom nom.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got me wondering about the effects of grease. I am sure many PC parents don't let their kid eat anything that has grease on or with it. Shame. Grease is an important ingredient and I am sure our bodies need some.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Science/medicine underestimates the value of good cheap lubrication

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one of those very near me that I love as well. Best breakfast in the world and dirt cheap. Run by a local fireman. Proof once again the profits the big chains are making.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. monty55

monty55

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahh, just like in the old days!

Thanks for sharing that!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Grew up on fried bologna. Grease...the other white meat.

My secret for keeping warm in winter is frying a piece of steak with chunks of fat still on it. Don't trim that luscious goodness off! The fat adds flavor and insulates the bloodstream. Ask an Eskimo.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I like the diners were you can sit on a stool at the counter and watch the "breakfast cook" make any style of eggs perfectly. Most of those guys are real pros with an egg. You know the type: soda jerk hat cocked towards his brow, and the sleeve of his soiled tee shirt rolled over a pack of Lucky Strikes.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Up until 1977, Philippe's - inventor of the French dip sandwich - kept their price on a cup of coffee at 5¢. Then the rot kicked in and they raised the price to 10¢. I haven't eaten there in many years, so I took a look to see what they are now charging for a cup of coffee. It's gone up to an outrageous 45¢! They should all be taken out and whipped!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's the name of the place, Frank? I'd love to do a search on it and find out more about it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$4.37 for breakfast? Are you sure that place isn't a money-laundering front?

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

aldecaker -

$4.37 for breakfast? Are you sure that place isn't a money-laundering front?

bigvan -

What's the name of the place, Frank? I'd love to do a search on it and find out more about it.

Flo's Diner

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to know Flo got her own place. All those years at Mel's must have taken a toll.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do they afford to keep the doors open only charging $4.37 for a full breakfast served on real plates etc.?

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do they afford to keep the doors open only charging $4.37 for a full breakfast served on real plates etc.?

Volume?
    I was just thinking about the lousy tips the servers must get at 15%.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My place does it by making most of their money through catering. The breakfasts are more of a community service.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

We are talking about food, where are the photos?

This one cost me $7.22 in Tbilisi, Georgia. Unlimited free refill for the coffee.

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love diners. As mentioned before, on a recent trip to Jersey I ate at Wawa, not a diner but a sort of gas station convenience store restaurant. Two breakfast sandwiches, two medium coffees, totalled less than $7. Hurrah for humane pricing, and the food's good, and the coffee is (to our tastes) better than Starbucks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love old diners/greasy spoons. In the late 60s my dad took me to a place in Muskegon MI that had 5cent coffee, and some great American food. The only problem was that it was downwind of their paper mill that stunk to high heaven!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. fishingandpipes

fishingandpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greasy spoons serve the breakfasts we all want and deserve.

I like good coffee when I make it at home, but greasy spoon coffee? I don't know what they do to the pre-ground tub stuff they use, but it's my favorite kind. I've never been able to replicate it at home.

There's a bodega near me with counter seats and they make a better greasy spoon breakfast than anywhere else in the area. It's mostly a convenience store that folks use to buy lotto tickets and cigarettes, but that breakfast...

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For some reason reading this thread reminded me of this scene from Hell or High Water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFim0IPtmrM

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Long live the greasy spoon. The heck with the fancy brunches with champagne cocktails; give me eggs-over-easy and diner coffee instead anytime.

The A&T Pancake House and Grill operates on the extreme north end of Clark St. here in Chicago. The place oozes of old-world kitsch with booths around the perimeter and a counter in back by the kitchen. Two orders of corned beef hash with eggs and toast, two extra sides of bacon, two coffees and a huge plate of crepes in the $20 range; you can't find those prices anywhere else in this town. Big plates, huge helpings, eccentric wait staff ... it just doesn't get any better for Sunday morning.

Although I mostly don't miss smoking in restaurants, I do miss it at greasy spoons like this. Boy! I'd hate to admit how familiar I am to the scene of chain-smoking cigarettes with diner coffee and a hangover, waiting for those eggs ...

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have a great diner in our town, its a family owned place now being run by the third generation. The have great breakfast, their home fries and SOS are fantastic. The make all the pies and cakes from scratch no premade crusts or cake mixes.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not really a diner fan, but not an enemy either.

However, on grease: people mistake fat for the devil. The real devil is an unbalanced meal. For example, too much sugar and other carbs... sort of like most of our food.

I love to cook and prefer it to restaurant food. I know my own margins. But, people need places like pubs/diners/kaffeehausen to just hang out.

And that is what we are here for: to hang out, to witness, to think, to develop. Anything else is just a symptom of the universe.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey man ... in Romania you can't get a lousy coffee for under EUR 1.2-EUR 1.5. And the more west you go, the more expensive restaurants, pubs, coffee shops get.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   buzkirk, bouwser, headhunter, sumusfumus