PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
Is it just me, or does this stuff have just a "decent" flavor... WAYYYY

better than what I got the first time... but still seams to be lacking?
The room note is amazing and it smoked great, all the way to the bottom

with minimal ash, will be one I keep around for sure.
The only time I DID taste any kind of flavor was when I exhaled through nose

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
If it truly is just an upscale Captain Black then I wouldn't go into it with big expectations...
Nice enough, I am sure, but nothing to write home about. (Still haven't tried it)
Aromatics just don't bring it in the flavour department IMO.
I used to like Sail Green, for instance, because the tobacco flavour stood out to me and the casing was noticeable enough to make it interesting...

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
If you really want a walk on the mild side with taste get some Ennerdale or CR Flake. You can't go wrong that way.
Since your new be careful what you spend money on. The best bet I have learned is to ggogle around for things that match your taste. I searched "sweetest tobacco" and found a truckload of great new baccy to try. My last order was 150 on baccy alone and the next was 80 on baccy and 240 on two pipes.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
1-Q is okay, but I don't find it to be particularly great. It is, however, something everyone should try. But there are far, far better aros out there.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Aromatics just don't bring it in the flavour department IMO.
Im starting to see this picture now...
Unfortunately...
So virginians or english blends for flavor? which has a better room note?

Which is easier on a rookie? mild to med strength?

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
But there are far, far better aros out there.
Mind spilling the beans? :)
By the way -- what else did you get at the B&M?
That was it, all I had was $10 and I should have looked to see if they had some PA or carter hall as well and if it was cheap... I plan on buying a few more and a MM cob on friday :)

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Peterson do some decent aromatics. The 3 limited editions being my favs of their collection Special Reserve,Summertime and Holiday Season. These 3 change each year but so far have been excellent.
From my experience i have learned that some of the milder flavors out there take a little more work to get the best of.

Better packing, lighter sipping. They are a good way to learn to smoke imo. If you can smoke a mild tasting aro and get the most from it flavor wise then you will blow your own mind on the stronger flavors.
Mac Baren also do some good aromatics. The strongest (flavor wise) one i have tried so far is Vanilla Cream Flake, it is a great smoke.
If you like smokey flavors you could give Samuel Gawith Black XX a try.
Samuel Gawith 1792 is strong in flavor too but it has a fairly strong kick.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
I know what you mean about the flavor in aromatics. I'm also a new piope smoker and I have yet to find one that tastes as good as it smells. Everyone seems to suggest Macbaren Vanilla Cream Flake. I got some yesterday. The smell in the tin was great, real vanilla bean smell not that fake chemical stuff, but still very little flavor.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
You could be smoking too hard, too much heat can kill the flavor it was a mistake i made when i first started.
I try to puff as light as possible and i get great taste results.

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
I have been known so far to take long intense drags...
That killing it?
Very light puffs you say?

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
"You could be smoking too hard, too much heat can kill the flavor it was a mistake i made when i first started."
Yeah I was thinking that might be the case, although I didn't worry at all about relights and I really tried to take my time with it.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Someone had a post about 1Q, and really brought up a good point; it's such a good smoke because of the things that it isn't. It isn't expensive, it isn't complex, and it isn't hard to work with. It's just a great all day smoke. But, like the other fella's are sayin, the true tobacco flavor lies in English blends. I enjoy several aro's very highly, they are relaxing and easy to smoke. But my favorites are blends with Latakia.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
1-Q is a great all round every day smoke. I find it nice and smooth. I always have it on hand.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I enjoy 1Q but yea it is not complex and has a mild flavor with some sweetness. Kind of like a mid range wine or the cheap beer that is not stellar but you know what to expect and is enjoyable. If you want to take it up a notch of quality and have about $20 to spend try a tin of Mac Baren 7 seas Royal. Before you give up on 1Q try it in another pipe and slow down on the puffing. If you can just keep it barely smoldering you will get more flavor.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
My favorite aromatics are:
Autumn Evening (Cornell and Diehl)

Classic Burley Cake (Hearth and Home)

Captain Cool (McClelland)

Shortcut to Mushrooms (Just For Him)

Status
Not open for further replies.