PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
The pouch note of the Butternut Burley I received from 4noggins yesterday popped my wife’s eyes. She gusta mucho’d very much!
But I was disappointed in the taste. Eh… bleh. So-so.
This morning I combined 1 part Butternut Burley with 1 part Red Virginia.
Pleasant creaminess of the smoke reminded me of the first taste of a bowl filled with fresh OTC traditional blends – but without the chemical yick aftertaste I get from Prince Albert or Carter Hall.
Instead, a creamy smooth start, as I said, with a pleasant lingering tobacco taste on my gums and inner cheeks as the butternut dissipated. One taste starts off at the sip, but another taste lingers as it passes. Transitioning tastes, like bending a middle string note on a mellow folk guitar.
I had started a 30-minute bowl on a 20-minute commute. Unwilling to waste this blend when I arrived on the property, I just couldn’t dump it out. I finished it.
So I got “busted” by the operations manager this morning. Looking all quizzical at me, she asked, “Was that you and your truck parked out in the vineyard this morning?”
“Yep.”
And I continued walking past her and up to my office to start my day, looking all calm and content.
Try it out! One part Butternut Burley, one part red Virginia. (Leave extra time for you commute if you smoke and drive).

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I've tried one part Butternut Barley and one part Matured Virginias--a nice diversion from the VA flakes I smoke most all the time.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm going to mix up an ounce tomorrow and let it meld for a few days and see how it is.
Thanks for the tip!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Sailorjeremy -- yeah. Just personal taste preference, I guess. I tried just Butternut Burley again a bit ago, unadulterated, in my meerschaum-lined briar. And yeah, doesn't do anything for me. Only the smoke tells me that it's even lit. Room smells up nice, but the taste.... not much going on.
Now -- there are more than one type of Butternut Burley. I don't think this is "Scotty's." So... let me double check what brand I have so we're not talking apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.