PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've purchased, but not yet received, several blends to try, and I've purchased them in 1oz quantities. None of my pipes are really large or small but what I would consider (from what I can tell) to be average. So out of 1 oz how many bowels does one typically get?

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Based on averages it should be about 7 to 8 bowls.
Rich

4noggins.com

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I think I've read somewhere that an average pipe fits around 3 or 4 grams of tobacco. Google tells me that there are 28.35 grams in an ounce. Therefore, you may be able to expect between 7 and 9 bowls from an ounce of tobacco.
How many bowels you get should be kept between you and your gastroenterologist.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
HA! Thanks for that catch, I should spend some time rereading my posts. Or maybe I should spend time working while at work instead of lurking around here.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Mine left me on a bed in a corner in the hospital with pictures of what's left of my colon laying on the bed next to me when I regained consciousness after my colonoscopy. Didn't see him to discuss it for two weeks. I could already see that the news wasn't the best. I was however, cancer and polyp free!

My colon looks like one of those goat skins they use for a soccer ball after a couple hours of fighting for its possession by guys with horses.

I always thought an ounce was 28.7 grams?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The amount of bowls you can get out of an ounce (28.3 grams) also depends on the type of pipes you are using, and if you fill them to the rim.
My King's Cross Featherweight holds less than half of what comfortably fits in a standard size Billiard.
Another factor may be the density of the flake or how loosely you load a ribbon cut. In fact, I've seen some pipes that would limit me to half filled bowls.
Enjoy!
@newbroom
Good to hear you're on the road to recovery!

Mar 1, 2014
The density of the tobacco makes a big difference, you can really tell when you're loading a jar. 1lb of Stokkebye LBF only fills 3/4 of a 1 quart jar, but a dry springy ribbon cut takes a lot of pressure to fit the same amount.

When I bother to weigh it out, I definitely find more flake fits in the same bowl.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I love Semois but when I pack it, in the biggest bowl I have, I need industrial strength tamping to get a decent quantity in the bowl. Talk about springy!

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Here are a few measures :
1 pound = 453 grams
1 ounce = 28.3 grams
3 grams = 1 bowl - average
1 pound = 151 bowls
1 ounce = 28.3 bowls

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
When I bought over the counter tobaccos in pouches, a pouch would hold about one and one half ounces. I guess they still hold that much,

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Anywhere from 6-12 bowls, depending on blend. I probably average 9-10 per oz except with Gawith Flakes, which is pretty consistently 6-7 per oz.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Depending on the tobacco's cut (ribbon, plug, flake etc.), moisture content, size of pipe bowl, method for packing pipe, and how full you fill your pipe bowl will determine the amount of bowls you get out of that 1 ounce. My guess is about 7-10 bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.