PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loupgarougras

Lurker
May 3, 2018
Greetings Gentleman,
I have been lurking for a while and appreciate the advice on this forum. It is a veritable wellspring of tobacco wisdom!
I have a question about storage. I am a slow smoker, in that I smoke only once a week or so. I have been storing my bulk tobacco (which represent the bulk of my purchases) in 2 ounce mason jars. I was wondering if 1 ounce screw-top jam jars would work better for my slower tobacco utilization? I am guessing that they probably won't seal as well, but was wondering if any of you had experience with trying this particular type of jar? If there are any other suggestions for storing smaller quantities of tobacco I am all ears. Thanks in advance!

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
ive never had an issue with sealing on the little jars, i typically will fill up a quart jar for storage then stick a fistful in a 1oz jelly jar for smoking right away. 10 years later and still works like a charm :)

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Ball jars are quite inexpensive, reusable (with new lids) and they seal extremely well. The financial savings of using a jelly jar don’t merit the risks of possibly losing tobacco which seems to be getting more costly every day.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Can we use something like this for a long time storage? This kind of jar have a rubber seal on it's lid.
hermetico-jar.jpg

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Almost all of my bulk is in pint jars, and the first major challenge to this size appeared just this week, posted by Cosmic, saying that aged tobacco deteriorates when the jar is opened. I've not had this experience but I'm certainly listening. So the size of the jar may be important, and if Cosmic is right, the smaller the better.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Try to keep the size of jar relative to how much tobacco. You want about 90% of the jar full. Seems to be the right amount of air in there. Remember that a small. Soon as it’s opened the “aging” will stop

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Not true that aging stops when air is introduced. Tobacco is an organic substance that continues to ferment no matter the environment. With air it ferments aerobically. As soon as its niche attached to the plant is severed, fermentation begins, and in fact begins robustly, thus curing to "fix" it. But unlike plastic or concrete whose properties allow them to persist unchanged, tobacco deteriorates and changes, much like the human body that gets a good case of rot within days, and in this vein think of morticians as "curing" stiffs.

That's a unique way to look at it, Salted, and true to points.
It is a little more complicated than that, with the release of ammonia, the changing PH, starches turning to sugars, color fixing, then there is the aging that creates a change in the sociability of the smoke, or harshness, called sweats or it is the aging referred to on labels, or fermenting, But, when we put the tobacco in the jar, as I understand it best from Greg Pease's writings and the various folks who have done some work on aging, is that once the oxygen is used up by the microbes doing the work inside the jar on fermenting the leaf, it sets up an anaerobic environment, where the tobacco is in a stasis and also a slow metabolic change. Once oxygen is reintroduced, it sends a shock wave through the tobacco and starts a series of unpredictable outcomes. The tobacco can age really quickly, of chemical reactions between whatever junk has been used to treat the tobacco starts to change drastically, or the chemicals help stabilize the whole thing... but with chemicals like that, you probably didn't get much fermentation to begin with.
Sure, aging doesn't stop. That would mean that time has stood still. But, what does change when you open a tin or a jar after years and years is that you have rolled the dice. Maybe nothing much will happen, maybe cell walls will stay in tact and the essential oils will remain , giving you a flavorful smoke, but sometimes, it doesn't.
So, I am a small jar fan. I know, I know, not everyone lives in a house, and storing jars in your broken down tireless Ford Pinto stuck on the side of the river is just not an option... or your mother will bitch at you for leaving jars piled in a corner of your basement room... Not, everyone has their own house. So, in those cases... do whatever the hell you want.
I am not demanding anyone do anything. I merely explain why I do what I do. I like both the small quarter pints and half pints, but only with a few tobaccos do I ever use anything larger. I prefer to be able to quickly smoke whatever I open within a month, usually less. It is merely a fraction of the cost more to do this. And, I suppose there are always going to be guys who will pinch every penny down to the last dime... wait... what? Whatever. Do what suits your needs best. If you want to store them in brown paper bags buried in the neighbor's backyard, be my guest. You want to use 1970's avocado green Tupperware, you have my blessings.
But, I merely explain, why I do what I do. It may sound like crazytalk to some. And, sure, sure, the purple squirrels are always starting fights with me in the driveway, but otherwise, that is why I do what I do. :puffy:

loupgarougras

Lurker
May 3, 2018
Thank you everyone for your replies. Just to clarify, I am not considering the 1 ounce jars for cost savings but to try and store the smallest amount possible that I would smoke over 2 - 3 weeks. I smoke infrequently compared to most, and I am trying to limit the amount of degradation I my cellar once they are opened. I know the smaller jars are capable of sealing because the lid pops when I open them (say a sample size of a particular jelly or jam). I just don't know that they will seal(because of the screw top) as the tobacco changes from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism. The 2 ounce variety work an absolute treat for this, and are usually "sealed" in 3 - 4 weeks (in my VERY limited experience).
As I think this through, I guess I could do the "paraffin dip" method to ensure a seal on these smaller jars?
@tonypuff - Have you tried storing tobacco for several years in the 1 ounce jars? I understand they work for short term use, just wasn't sure how the tobacco would keep for longer term aging?

Good thinking process. I am not sure what a 1oz jar would be like.

This...

688290CommercialStraightSidedJar1oz_.jpg

Or...

1oz%20Jam%20Jar%20Gold%20Ideon-1050x1200.jpg

Does the lid have a sealing rubber surface? You could try parafin, but unless your pipe is like teeny tiny, you wouldn't really be able to get more than three or four bowls worth in there, right?
I would think that the quarter pint Mason Jars would be better. Yeh, you might not smoke it all in three weeks, but maybe six? I think six weeks would a good gamble.
My reasoning, for myself, would be that if I stored only a teeny tiny jar's worth, would there be enough mass of tobacco (or proportions of components), to guarantee that everything was in the mix to start a good process of fermentation.
But, that is just me overthinking it.
Yes, use the jars, and then dip them in wax. I think that would be a good plan.

loupgarougras

Lurker
May 3, 2018
@cosmic - I was thinking the jar on the bottom as some of those have a thin "gasket". Seems more like a rubber coating, but it works. You raise a valid point in that will such a small sample size possess all of the representative components for the blend in question. Guess I could shake it up in some sort of container to make sure it is well blended prior to placement in the jars.
I think, in the interest of science, I am going to purchase some of the smaller size jars and see what happens. I know that I am probably overthinking this, but I want the best flavor possible. Even just a few months in a mason jar has produced noticeable changes (to me anyway) in some of my initial purchases.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Question about wax: It's a time tested method in canning fruits and vegetables. It seems impervious to liquids, but does it completely seal in (or out) air?
One reason I think air may be getting through: If I squeeze out the air from a waxed cardboard milk carton, in a few hours the sides will have expanded, indicating it has drawn in some air.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Screw-top jam jars are not the same as canning jars with heavily sealer rings, screw top or those with wire latches. However, we regularly buy a brand of jam in small jars and I recycle these for small quantities of tobacco when a better jar is running low, or I have a sample, or I mix a small quantity. Not as good, but pretty sufficient over a year or two. I haven't had any problems with drying to dust nor mold or anything else. It's kind of a make-do, but better than having an unneeded number of bigger jars, it costs nothing extra, and it certainly beats keeping a blend in a sandwich bag or something like that. I usually make nice labels on my computer and scotch tape them in place firmly, or in pinch, just do a hand label. I'd say, always do this. Nothing more frustrating than packing a pipe with expectations of one blend and getting something else. Frustrating. Hand and then air dry the jar after washing before using, just to start at the right place.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 on the 1/2 pint or 8oz ball jars. I find these best for storing 50g of most cuts as well as repeated opening/closing for daily/weekly consumption.
As I like my tobacco on the drier side, I've found no ill effects by using the 1/2 pint jars and dipping into those regularly. I also keep my cellar blends in larger jars, namely pints and quarts for long-term storage. When I'm ready to bust those open, then they go into smaller jars. Rinse and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.