PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I'm going to take off a month as I'm going to have to be subjected to a pesky blood test as part of the usual pre screening for Life Insuarance. The insurance industry has brainwashed the Sheeple into accepting that it is the most socially accepted form of gambling. We are gambling that we will die, and they are gambling that we live and pay all the premiums, and they have been on the winning end of this for over a century. I just received 6 new blends too. :(.

I think I read that it takes about 3 weeks to get all the nicotine out of your system. I'll surely miss my beloved Penzance :crying:

soylentgreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2011
Sorry to hear that. At least pipe smoking is something that can "easily" be set aside when necessary.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You know if you die they can deny benifits if they find anything in your blood that should not be there . Yep marked deck and all . :crazy: Pay em the 10 bucks more a month and sleep well , my friend .

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
I thought in USA pipe smokers weren't considered "smokers" for some life insurance policies? I would never set out to deceive an insurance company, far too much at stake. Blood test or autopsy at death reveals any difference to that which you stated can only leave your loved ones with a major PITA, perhaps even devoid of a payout.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
If they do a mouth swab it can show up for a hole year!! I don't know about the fine print about not paying you if you have it in your blood after you get your insurance. I need to find out when I got my insurance I had not smoked for a year so I answered truly but since then I have picked up the pipe and cigar again I dont smoke that much even my DR. thinks the amount I smoke is not a point worth speaking of.
AUSSIELASS@ tobacco is tobacco in the US we are all evil in the eyes of the antis and health industries.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
It's strange reading this as, for most people, a blood test isn't needed for life insurance here. What happens to people whose faith doesn't allow them to give blood? Are they refused all life insurance?
I'd agree with what others have said. If you have made a false statement in your application the chance are the insurance wont pay out. Either tell them you smoke or put the money you'd use to pay the premium into another form of investment.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
If you have made a false statement in your application the chance are the insurance wont pay out
With any form of insurance the above remains true. I would also check if the small print of your specific policy requires you notify the insurers of any change of circumstance that may affect the policy.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Why can you not say that you took up pipe smoking 6 months after the policy started? Are you then supposed to call them up and tell them that you took up smoking? :crazy:
My contact said that there is still the " celebration clause " for the person who smokes 2-4 times or so per year.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Why can you not say that you took up pipe smoking 6 months after the policy started? Are you then supposed to call them up and tell them that you took up smoking?
That's why you need to check the small print of an individual policy. If the premium is lower for a non-smoker then you probably would have to inform them if you start.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
@withnail it's strange reading this as, for most people, a blood test isn't needed for life insurance here. What happens to people whose faith doesn't allow them to give blood? Are they refused all life insurance?
My test was blood for Disease and urine for the nicotine. but to answer you question they do one or all Blood, Mouth swab , and urine. If you decline then no insurance they dont care about your religious belief every one would just say they were Muslim or Budist or whatever why doing drugs dying of cancer and smoking like a champ.I see there point smokers and the like do have a shorter life expectancy and more health risk than non-smokers just like women are cheaper than men because they live longer heather lives than men in general.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Actually pipe smokers have a longer life expectancy than non-pipe smokers. The Surgeon General has released studies that show most pipe smokers live, on average, two years longer, because of the reduction in stress pipe smoking brings about. For non-pipe smokers the added stress results in a heart attack and death at an earlier age. It's those damn cigarette smokers that ruin it for us pipe smokers. With knowing these facts you'd think premiums would be lower for a pipe smoker, because the insurance companies will get, on average, two more years of money out of them. I wonder what an agent would say if you took this information with you when originally filing for the policy?

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Actually pipe smokers have a longer life expectancy than non-pipe smokers. The Surgeon General has released studies that show most pipe smokers live, on average, two years longer, because of the reduction in stress pipe smoking brings about. For non-pipe smokers the added stress results in a heart attack and death at an earlier age. It's those damn cigarette smokers that ruin it for us pipe smokers.
I would have to say this is total horse crap lets see some documentation the surgeon General put out and not those fake 1960 banners Keven puts up. Smoking is bad for us people I would say the only reason cigar and pipe smoking is not as bad is because most of us don't inhale I would suspect that if you inhale it would be no different the cigarettes.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I would think it would be darn near impossible to come up with documentation relating reduction of stress with just pipe smoking as there would be many other factors related to stress in your life, even if you do smoke a pipe. So isolating the smoking factor out by itself would be hard to do.
The insurance companies still make the rules, and have the rules put into place by buying their way into Washington with the enormous amounts of money and lots of Lobbyist. Can you drive a car without insurance?...NO
Anyway, I still have to somehow talk this over with my agent to see how much difference the premiums will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.