PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My latest antique shop purchases just arrived a Ben Wade Martinque with an acrylic stem and the bowl of a Ben Wade Royal Grain with a vulcanite tenon broke off in it. The broken tenon was easily removed by hand using a drill bit just slightly bigger than the hole. Twisted the bit by hand until it grabbed the vulcanite and it pulled right out.
This is the Ben Wade Royal Grain bowl.

WUttQQa.jpg

cqd9Xye.jpg

X55XDpP.jpg

Lpgxxbm.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
This is the bowl of the Ben Wade Martinque. It has an acrylic stem which I've already taken off for cleaning.
9L6Zlc8.jpg

Y6no6Sk.jpg

Y5D6RBQ.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
After two days of cleaning, they are ready to buff and add the stems. I just have to get to stems done now.

I finished the Royal Grain with Butcher Block Conditioner.
TAD9tq2.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Danish classics. I really like the plateau on the shank. I have a Johs with plateau on the brim and shank, a freehand "tomahawk."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I retrofitted a nice but less prestigious freehand (a Thompson cigar house pipe) with an acrylic fishtail stem when the Vulcanite P-lip kept oxidizing after every smoke and polishing. I chose to go from black to tortoise shell, and it makes a nice addition of color to the pipe, if you'd consider it for your stemless Ben Wade.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The Martinique came with an translucent amber stem with the Ben Wade marking so I thought that was the one for the pipe. The Royal Grain had the tenon for a vulcanite stem broken off in it.
After I removed the gunk from the tenon on the acrylic stem, it was too loose for the Martinique. It does however fit perfectly in the Royal Grain without any work.

I have a vulcanite Preben Holm stem which had been placed on a Søren I bought earlier this month which fits the Martinique fairly good. It's just a little tighter than I like.
I'm waiting for the stem Josh is sending me.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'll be writing a story about the restoration for my blog and hope to have it up in a day or two. Here's a preview photo...

ZM1gHYJ.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Spiffy. Very. CLASSIC Ben Wade shapes, especially the RG. I'm envious, pappy -- the RG looks just like one I wanted to buy when I worked for Tinder Back in the 70s & didn't have the coins. Plateau'd shanks are always a nice touch.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Check out my blog if you want to read about the restoration and see the photos.
https://pappyjoesblog.com/ben-wades-in-the-house-part-1/

Status
Not open for further replies.