PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Ive always been a Zippo guy.. the *Thlunk* adds to the smoking experience.... But I was Gifted a Kiribi Kabuto from the comic contest, and this thing is just incredible!.. It fits you hand perfectly.. the wing is ready for you to flip it open and then the "grinder" is right there. it fits perfectly. I cant say enough about this lighter....

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Nice. I've kind of stuck with Zippos because every other lighter I've ever had - whether for cigars or pipes has crapped out on me. That said, I've heard good things about the Kirbi.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I was using a Zippo Pipe model but got tired of filling it up. I would only smoke a bowl a day but after about 2 weeks and little use the fuel had evaporated. So lately I have been leaning more towards matched and a Bic. A nice butane lighter I think is in the future somewhere.
How long is the fluid lasting in other folks Zippo’s?

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
My zips needed a refill every week.. I do miss this Thuwunk.. but I this lighter is just to good.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I have to refill the Zippo every time I want to use it to light my pipe. I don't smoke every day, unfortunately, and the fuel evaporates quickly, maybe a couple of days or so, then refill. Meh. I use my Kiribi Mikazuki, which works great, though lately it has gotten a bit sparky.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I keep my Zippo in a little 2 inch zip lock bag when not in use. It retards evaporation a bit, but does not eliminate it. A bit of a squirt to refill every week or so is no bother to me. I have a killer Jim Beam Zippo that is really cool and I love my solid brass one, too.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Dunno why Zippos are so leaky, but when I kept mine on my desk I could smell the fuel emanating/evaporating from it. I tried the rubber band trick and that seemed to help, but the black Zippo looked so darn tacky with the broad band on it that I just gave up. I put it away for when I manage to use it on a daily basis.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've got a Old Boy that leaks fuel after one drop, so no more pricey lighters here. Trench lighters, Bics, a Nimrod, and Zippos work for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Love my Kiribis!
All my Zippos are in the drawer. All both of them.
Gone to butane, and not looking back. I've got LAD bad, man, it's like a habit. Started out simply enough- it was a BIC some old guy on the street corner gave me and said he had more of that. For a while, I was on a 3 BIC a month binge, and then I saw my first Old Boy. Bought a cheap one. This started another phase of my addiction. Now, I have several old boys, a nice torch, some Kabutos, and now four fake DuPont lighters from a Chinese firm, but for $25 you can't find a better ripoff-er, tribute.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I use a Zippo only when I have to (when I'm outside and it's windy}. Otherwise I use matches; I seem to have better control.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
The high temp on Wednesday is going to be 7 below zero where I live. Filling up the Zippo because it's the only one that will work at that temp(SHIT!) ... :(

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I waffle back and forth with lighting my baccy. I use matches, zippos, Benlow Golmet Motorist (Zippo on steroids), Bic, Pipemaster or pretty much anything with a flame (except torches).

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
As The Weez sayz its too cold for butane here this time of year, the Zippo rules after matches. My wife bought me a Colibri Pacific which is butane and has a retracting tamper/pick combo. It is electric spark and won’t survive long.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I use a Zippo and it needs a refill every other day. Even then it has gone dead on me sometimes, so these days I refill every morning. Just a little squirt. If it overflows, that excess gasoline will irritate the skin on my thigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.