PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
I had my old Zippos converted to the pipe insert and love them. I was charring the rims of my pipes with butane lighters, but the Zippos are much more gentle and easier for me to control. The fluid used to irritate my leg when I carried the lighter in my pocket, but supposedly the new formulation that is less irritating. Maybe it's just that Zippo tightened the cover hinges, but they do seem more comfortable now.
One thing to keep in mind. They can only put pipe inserts in the standard sized lighters that are about an inch and a half wide. They don't make the inserts for the narrow ones that are about an inch and an eighth wide (I think they're called "Slimline").

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I've got a few zippos with the pipe inserts. The only lighter I prefer to use when smoking my pipes.
I"ve heard that you can send your empty zippo case to zippo and ask for a pipe insert and they'll mail it back to you with a pipe insert for free. All you have to do is pay your own postage.

burney

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
Hi there guys, I personally have a zippo with a pipe insert, but have to admit I'm not very fond of it. my problem with the zippo in general, they get bloody hot bloody quickly, and if you cannot see where the flame is, they are almost impossible to control. I have always been a match guy. Butane lighters aren't for me neither. I am not fond of burning my thumb.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The Zippo pipe lighter is surely as controllable as a match, with the light lasting as long as you need. I use them a lot. You get used to the odor of the lighter fluid. I admit the Bics get the most use though. 8)

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Bics every time for me. If you want to avoid burning your rims-- well, keep the flame off them! How hard can that be? The flame on a Bic is perfectly visible (one of the best things about it) and i's easy to light only where you want to.
Now outdoors...? Another story.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
The inserts help but don't fix the fluid leak issue with zippos. They can be found at amazon and eBay sold separately from the zippo and sometimes together. It's easy to insert yoourself.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
I prefer matches but they are just impractical for me 95% of the time. I use a zippo insert and it works well. I have no issues with lighter fluid leaks or fumes. Not quite sure what the fuss is about on that topic. They do have to be refilled often but it’s relatively inexpensive.

n240sxguy

Lurker
Sep 21, 2014
I have a matte black zippo pipe lighter. I don't fire up the pipe that often, so I usually have to fill it first. I usually smell the fluid for a few seconds after the pope is lit, but it goes away pretty fast.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
My Zippo with the pipe insert is my "go to" lighter for all of my pipes. Never really had any issue with fumes. I always make sure though to only buy the Premium low odor Zippo lighter fluid in the black can and I let it burn for a couple seconds before lighting the tobacco. The fluid does evaporate rather fast requiring the lighter to be refilled more often than I would like, but as others have said, the lighter fluid is relatively inexpensive.

burney

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
hi again,
The flame on a Zippo is very controllable, if you can see where the thing is pointed to begin with. I will always prefer a match over the Zippo lighter, the same as I would prefer a straight pipe over a bent. it is all a matter of personal choice.

jtpipe

Lurker
Dec 22, 2014
I just recently picked up a pipe zippo. At first I was hesitant because my learnings has shown matches over lighters of any sort. While I do feel to a degree that matches can preserve some flavor, I did not see much difference, and it is impeccable when lighting in wind. I definitely recommend it.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I often use my Zippo with a pipe insert and am generally quite happy with it. The only time it let me down was once when it simply wouldn't light. But I was on an open boat on a very cold and windy day in Amsterdam, and matches didn't work either.
But I have to admit that when I need a relight nearer the bottom of the bowl (and I suppose this betrays me as a newbie), I might reach for a match instead of trying to suck the flame all the way in.

burney

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
Hi again,
As I said, control over where the flame goes is my biggest issue, why? Because being totally blind makes it rather difficult to se the darn thing. I did some experimenting and found that a cheep bick light works better than the Zippo for me, even though those burn the hell out of your thumb if you're not careful. I also own a Eurojet pipe lighter with an angled flame which works well for me. If someone can explain exactly where to hold the Zippo in relation to your pipe when there is no wind I'd be greatful.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Matches when I'm home but when I'm at my B&M or out and about I use my zippo. Keeps me from using up my stores matches and it keeps me with the ability to stay lit with out looking for the matches.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hello Burney, I imagine myself in your shoes and think how great pipe smoking must be for you. Mostly I wonder how you manage to have read the posts here. My hat is off to you. 8)

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
burney,
When I flip open a zippo pipe lighter and strike the striker, my right thumb naturally falls about a quarter inch below the open cover and centered across the lower section. I place the lighter over the bowl so my right thumb just touches the side of the bowl. That centers the hole in the pipe lighter over the bowl. Of course all this may vary by size of hands and bowl(both are relatively small in my case).
I never could get a regular non-pipe zippo to work well.

burney

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
Hi there mcitinner1 and fishfly,
Firstly, it is not hard to read these posts, for the pipes magazine website is very accessible when using a screen reader, on Mac OS X and windows as well as on iOS.
I have a huge pare of paws, even though only the left works, so will have to test some more.
I am also of the school of thaught, a good pipe is a big pipe.
My Lorenzo Filturo has a very thick bowl wall, so that one is very hard for me to get going with a Zippo. The Euro Jet lighters seems to work well for me on that one. My little Spitfire is however eazaly lit using my Zippo. So is both my MM cobs as well as the Sarina Lago a friend gave me.
I won't however risk my 2 Falken bowls trying the Zippo.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I just recently picked up a Promise pipe lighter, hadn't heard much about them. So for the price I couldn't pass it up. I love it, decent length flame for getting as far down as needed without a heavy draw and it butane so you don't get a heavy fuel smell. I do however like the zippo idea about the insert. I've had one forever for cigars and just for general purpose, but I may need to look into the pipe insert. By the way here's a quick picture of the Promise lighter. The tools are attached to the body of the lighter but overly loose, not a fan.
http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/big_promise_earl_BN106_A15.jpg

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Zippos with pipe insert are the best outdoor lighter I have ever used. Great company. I recently was given a Zippo with the regular insert. I called the company and they sent me a pipe insert for free. I love this company. They make their lighters in Pennsylvania.

Status
Not open for further replies.