PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
I've noticed around the forums a lot of people talking about Zippo inserts for their pipes. I've got a Jetline PipeG, and I do like it, but it has no wind resistance what so ever. I'd never heard of the Zippo insert, and was hoping someone could show me where everyone's getting them.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Mine came with the Zippo I purchased a few years ago at an online retailer. They are great lighters but I don't use mine because the fluid runs out so fast.

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
I've also seen some mixed reviews on the Xikar Pipe lighter. I love the "Old Boy" style lighters, but I can't afford an authentic one right now. Any experience with Xikar's knock off?

Jan 8, 2013
Here ya go... http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=123328
And I'm sure some of the other site sponsors will likely have them as well.

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
Thanks, Anthony! I was starting to think maybe everyone meant the "Thunderbird" I'd been seeing online, but I hadn't seen anyone call it that.

Jan 8, 2013
You're welcome, and of course welcome to the forums. I have a pipe zippo and I absolutely love it. Keep in mind, when you light a zippo, let it burn for about three seconds before you take the flame to your tobacco. That will help keep you from getting that zippo fluid flavor. Which is fine for lighting up a cigarette, but why do that to your good stuff? Shop around on the links to the left of the page. And of course you can find them at Zippo's website as well.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The best thing about the Xikar Pipeline lighter is that they have a lifetime warranty. If you decide to buy one my recommendation is to buy it from a local B&M that agrees to exchange them on the warranty. That's what I did and it saves shipping charges. Even if you pay a little more at the B&M you will be money ahead in the long run and appreciate their service. However I will say on my last warranty exchange I received one with a mfg date code of C14 and have had none of the usual problems SO FAR! So maybe their quality control has improved recently, or maybe I just got lucky this time. And by the way, they have no wind resistance either.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
anthony is the man! beat me to it! Zippo user here and I like mine. People love it as well.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I use a zippo with a pipe lighter insert. Here are a few things about Zippos.
If you let it burn for a few seconds before lighting your pipe you don't taste the fluid as much.
My zippo needed to be refilled every day. I took the padding out and the wick was all coiled up at the top of the lighter. I straightened it out so the wick stretched to the bottom and packed the padding back in around it. It works a bit better and the fluid seems to last longer.

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
I love my zippo, got it at a local b&m, but you can get them on amazon for cheap.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
If you have a zippy light just go to Zipp o'clock customer service. Let them know you want a pipe insert they will send it to you for free. I did this myself so I know it works.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have a Zippo Pipe Lighter and love it, as mentioned above let it burn a few seconds first, also have a Xikar Pipe Lighter that has the pipe tools that pull out, both are great lighters, both have lifetime warranty and both are regularly used. But outdoors, zippo every time being wind resistant

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I have several Zippos but I'm still a match guy for the most part. Can't stand the smell or taste of lighter fluid and no matter how I use a Zippo I can still taste it.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
My wife bought me a zippo pipe lighter for V day.
At a local smoke shop for less that $20. Most/all have a small pipe symbol in the corner.
Ask at your local smoke shop.
I like mine, but it seems like I am always out of fuel. It evaporates mostly as I don't use it very often.

(Also buy some flints, the one they put in a new lighter doesn't last very long)
My BIL took one of the cheap zippo knock-offs and drilled a hole in it, it works pretty good...

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I bought mine last night. The thing the people have told me is keep the wick low so that there isn't that mush fluid taste to the first light. P.S I love mine so much easier than matches.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have the Xikar pipeline and it is a nice looking lighter and it works great if you smoke indoors. If my neighbour farts in his yard next door my Pipeline goes out so if you smoke outside don't bother. I lost my zippo pipe lighter and just bought another, forgot how much I liked that lighter.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I use matches indoors but you can't beat a Zippo outdoors! I love my Zippo pipe lighter. :clap: Happy puffin',
Dave :puffy:

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Just to second easterntraveler, I simply followed the instructions on Zippo's customer care website - which means mailing them your Zippo - and they sent me back my Zippo, the new pipe insert and my old insert as well, all free of cost (except for my initial posting the lighter). Nice service, considering I bought my Zippo over 10 years ago :)

Status
Not open for further replies.