Zippo or IMCO lighter? which one is better?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

soren

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
I use wood matches at the moment. I just bought a zippo off ebay to see if it was worth it. I guess Ill find out when I get it.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
never tried Ronson fluid if i see it when im out and about might give it try.
It's not really a brand to go out looking for. I buy it because it's usually cheaper. Personally, it doesn't affect the taste of a bowl, but you may notice a taste, but probably won't too much if you let it burn for a little bit before lighting the tobacco.
The Ronson company makes it (they used to make some cool lighters once upon a time) but the name on the yellow plastic container says "Ronsonol".
Vintage Ronson Lighter Page
There were some clear Ronson lighters once upon a time that had miniature fly lures floating in the fluid. Cool indeed.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
There were some clear Ronson lighters once upon a time that had miniature fly lures floating in the fluid. Cool indeed.
ScriptoVu.jpg

I was wrong about that, Scripto made them and the line was the Scripto-Vu.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Just an FYI. Zippo recently bought out Ronson, so I don't know how long Ronsonal fluid will be available. I have no idea if Zippo is planning on keeping it or getting rid of it and just have Zippo fluid available.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Just an FYI. Zippo recently bought out Ronson...
What would be nice is if Zippo released some classic style lighters under the Ronson trademark. As it stands, the lighters Ronson offers are practical and of good quality, but nothing like the stylish makes of the past.
I sure could go for something like this:
tn_Ronson_Touchtip_Pipeholder3.jpg

tn_Ronson_Touch-Tip_Pipe_Rack.jpg

soren

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
Okay, after testing my Zippo for a week, I think I have come to like wooden matches the most.
I like the Zippo and it works great, but I find it easier to control the flame and less likely to make me draw too hard to pull in the flame.
The only thing I hate about matches is the hordes of them that accumulate after a while.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Anyone used one of these?

They also make an replaceable flint butane insert to fit a zippo or similar.
I think I'll order one. The igniter on my $12 Evertech lighter went to hell already.
I think "analog" flint ignition is the way to go. And biutane and windproof. Al for $15.
What's the downside?

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I use wooden kitchen matches, a Zippo or an Old Boy depending which is at hand. Ever since Zippo introduced their new formula fluid, I have no problem with the naptha taste.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I bought an imitation zippo at the liquor store for 3 dollars and it works like a champ. You have to learns to pull the flame instead of tilting, otherwise you taste the fluid.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
I'll stick with my Zippo with a pipe insert. I use a butane lighter sometimes for the initial char light, but otherwise not a big fan. It seems to burn a lot hotter than the zippo fluid. My biggest issue with butane, though, is that I hate filling a butane lighter. I can never tell when it is full or whether anything at all has entered the chamber. I then bend down to listen and hit myself square in the face with some backspray. I am sure that is just my own incompetence but who needs it ...

maduroman

May 15, 2010
i have a zippo that i have carried for 35+ years. i have lit maralbors, kools, newports, pal mals, camals, cigars, pipes, handrolled and bongs with it with no problems.
i think i'll stick with it...

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I love my new Thunderbird or whatever they call it. All the joy of a zippo without the kerosene.
It's no more difficult to fill than a zippo and no stinky.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Just my personal opinion. A pipe should never be lit with a liquid fuel lighter. It leaves an after taste.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
After 40 years of piping and also as a collector of old lighters, I still use my Zippo almost all the time. I have carried the same one for 35 years and it has never failed me in any way. I just love the flip, light and flip closeed ritual and sound. I never have had the taste of the fluid bother me, I guess I am used to it. You get a lifetime gurrantee from them too, they last forever.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I ordered a Peterson gift box with a pipe and a pipe zippo lighter earlier this week - am currently waiting impatiently for the package to arrive. :)

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Is it just me or do pipe rests like the one pictured above look like shoe horns? I wonder if I could fashion one out of a cheap metal shoehorn?
On topic, I wanted to buy a Zippo pipe ligher but I have a regular Zippo so I cant rationalize buying a completely new one. I was wondering if you guys know where to get just the insert for cheap?
I have seen that set before Juni let me know what you think of it. I thought it seemed like a more than reasonable deal on a very nice looking pipe.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I think you can send your lighter to Zippo and they will do it for you for free. They will send you back your old insert and the pipe one. Well worth a shot.
contact info:
http://www.zippo.com/contactZippo.aspx

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Lol should I break the insert so they have to repair it and then ask for a pipe lighter insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.