Zippo or IMCO lighter? which one is better?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
No, apparently they will switch it for free to a pipe insert..and send your old one back too.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I have been looking for an email address to contact them for 30 minutes now. I finally found out how to email them and sent one. I hope I hear good news back from them tomorrow.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Same Zippo for 26 years.It is all I ever use.Looks old but works like new.Unless someone takes a sledge hammer to it,you'll always have fire.Never caused me any grief as far as taste when smoking a pipe.Others may disagree though.

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
Wallbright you can send your Zippo to Bradford PA. and they will referbish it for free. I have quite a collection of zippos, to include a pipe insert which I transfer to different lighters periodically.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Speaking as a pipe smoker who has been at it for almost 50 years and who owned and operated a pipe shop for a lot of years, I'll give you my take on pipe lighters. I right now have a Dunhill, Savinelli Quartz, Zippo butane type, several Colibris, Coronas, Prometheous, and others. I also owned and used in the past an expensive Dupont and an even more expensive (can't rembember how it's spelled) "Karen-dash". The upshot of all this is; they all give you trouble eventually and they all fail. My advice is spend your money on good pipes and use disposable butane lighters. Fancy lighters are a sucker deal... However, I don't consider Zippo or Imco fancy and in my experience both are above average in reliability. As always, just my opinion for what it's worth.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
M9639158.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Speaking as a pipe smoker who has been at it for almost 50 years and who owned and operated a pipe shop for a lot of years, I'll give you my take on pipe lighters. I right now have a Dunhill, Savinelli Quartz, Zippo butane type, several Colibris, Coronas, Prometheous, and others. I also owned and used in the past an expensive Dupont and an even more expensive (can't rembember how it's spelled) "Karen-dash". The upshot of all this is; they all give you trouble eventually and they all fail. My advice is spend your money on good pipes and use disposable butane lighters. Fancy lighters are a sucker deal... However, I don't consider Zippo or Imco fancy and in my experience both are above average in reliability. As always, just my opinion for what it's worth.
I agree I will never own a $40+ lighter. I really like Zippo's lifetime warranty and free pipe lighter inserts.
Do you guys know if I can just send it to the address with a note or should I call first? They have not responded to my email yet.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Well they emailed me back here is what it says:
Dear Mr. Allbright:
Thank you for your recent E-mail regarding the purchase of a pipe insert. We are sorry to advise that we do not sell the inside units or lighter cases separately.
However, you may send your lighter to our Repair Department with a note explaining you would like a pipe insert and they will be happy to replace your original lighter insert with a pipe lighter insert. Your original lighter insert will also be returned to you.
The repair address is as follows:
Zippo Repair Clinic
1932 Zippo Drive
Bradford PA 16701
We suggest when sending your lighter, that you allow the fuel to evaporate, package it in a padded envelope or sturdy box, include your name and address on the outside as well as the inside of the package, and insure the package by a traceable method.
Thank you for your interest in Zippo products.
Sincerely,
Tammy Bruyer | Zippo Manufacturing Company | Consumer Relations Department | 33 Barbour Street, Bradford, Pennsylvania 16701| p: 814-368-2736 | f: 814-363-2536 | e: tbruyer@zippo.com
Looks like I will be sending in my lighter for the insert this week.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
I've used my zippo for years, even a victor (zippo nock off) and I haven't ever had any problems. I also use the Ronsol fluid and haven't noticed a taste of fluid. I say you should go for what ever works for you, how you light it can be just like your pipe. You may like it and it works fine for you but it wouldn't be the choice of another, everyone has their own way of doing things that they like.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
Bob

I use a Zippo quite frequently and I have never tasted lighter fluid. When I light it, I let it burn for a moment before lighting my pipe. Letting it burn and holding the flame above the pipe and drawing the flame to the tobacco should eliminate any fluid taste.

I agree. I've used the same zippo pipe lighter since I bought my first pipe in 1982. Same lighter. I've never tasted the fuel as I don't light it and lay it on the bowl. I pull it down with inhale. Your mileage may vary.

jsharp

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2010
Dandridge, TN
I was given a Zippo pipe lighter a few months back. I'ts funny, I will notice a small taste every once in a while, but most of the time I do not. I've lite with matches, regular lighters and of course the Zippo. The Zippo pipe lighter is great because of the direction of the flame. Plus it's great for outdoors. (Look cool too)

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
I use a zippo case with a vector insert. It is built the same as a zippo pipe insert but uses butane instead of lighter fluid. I have not had a single problem with this one or the straight flame insert I had before it. I highly recommend them.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I use a zippo when out and about and matches when at home when I have no wind to contend with and two free hands! The zippo has a butane pipe insert.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I just got the Zippo with pipe insert and find the when i get down past 1/2 in the bowl i have to draw quite hard to get the flame to draw down to the tobacco? Anyone feel the same or have a secret solution?

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
Another +1 for Zippo. I light it then wave it about a couple of times which gets rid of the "fumey" taste. I rarely use anything else but used Swan Vesta matches for a while. Trouble is, matches are messy when you're working from a desk.
In my office anyway...

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I prefer matches or a butane lighter.
I have Both a Xikar EX windproof softflame, and a Xikar Pipe Lighter whose model name eludes me, but it looks like a IM Corona. Both are good but I prefer the EX. Main reasons are that the flame is windproof, having a heating element which reignites the gas if the wind puffs it out, and it has the electronic ignition. So, no flint changing to boot. I also smoke cigars, and prefer a soft flame over a torch. The torches overheat the cigar, imho, and ruin the more delicate flavors in the cigar. The Corona style is good, but does not hold up in the wind, and you have to carry flints. Still a lovely lighter.
I also keep a Zippo Pipe Lighter as a back-up. Why not? Cheap, effective, I can stuff a flint or two in the case, and nothing is more reliable. I never use it, per say, but it is nice to know I have something flawless to fall back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.