PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Back from my days of cigar smoking I was always told that using a zippo lighter was a big nono. I ordered a lighter online a few days ago, and today I found out they were out of stock,.. I had to call on top of things. That kind of got me mead, so I went to the tobacco shop and sort of on impulse I bought a zippo. To my great surprise.. It is a fantastic lighter. Easy to use, reliable, and contrary to my belief it doesn't make the tobacco taste like gasoline. Is it all in my head or is pipe tobacco really immune to the zippo fluid scent ?!

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Whatever works for you is all that matters... I myself am not a fan of the Zippo gas stink, but like Zippos.
If you want you can buy a butane insert for you Zippo;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003IRLBUA/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1501772212&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=thunderbird+zippo+insert&dpPl=1&dpID=41Mqkq3iTdL&ref=plSrch

I use a Zippo occasionally (pipes and cigars), really whatever is handy is what I use (Bics mostly) and I have never tasted the fluid smell, although I smell it in the flame. But, I am no sweet delicate princess and the pea. If my only source of flame was using a flaming dog turd, I'd use a dog turd. I'll leave the hemming and hawing over what gives their tobacco a bad flavor (or what makes it burn too hot) to the more delicate amongst us. Back in the day, you just grabbed a burning twig out of the fire or held a charcoal over your bowl. I wonder if any of those guys discussed which tree twigs made the best flavors in their tobacco?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The newer Zippo fuel has less of a scent when burning, but new or old, I never tasted it in pipes or cigars.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
I love my Zippo pipe lighter, and I never pick up any fluid taste in my tobacco.
I use a Zippo occasionally (pipes and cigars), really whatever is handy is what I use (Bics mostly) and I have never tasted the fluid smell, although I smell it in the flame. But, I am no sweet delicate princess and the pea. If my only source of flame was using a flaming dog turd, I'd use a dog turd. I'll leave the hemming and hawing over what gives their tobacco a bad flavor (or what makes it burn too hot) to the more delicate amongst us. Back in the day, you just grabbed a burning twig out of the fire or held a charcoal over your bowl. I wonder if any of those guys discussed which tree twigs made the best flavors in their tobacco?
LOL!!! Michael. Any Port in a Storm!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Michael-
Yes, it was—and is— the five year aged almond twigs that made the best light.
And don't forget this method!
SqzVELX.jpg

May 4, 2015
I never minded the taste of the zippo fluid. It's the constantly running OUT of fluid and fluid leaking that eventually made me stop using one. I wish they had a better design for fuel storage.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
img_00301-600x450.jpg

Would not be without my Zippo, use a Clipper back up.

Never tasted the fluid on a pipe or cigar. Use cheap bull brand fluid from our £1.00 shop.

You have to top up the lighter every 7-10 days whether you use it or not.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
jpmcwjr you are my hero, that I wouldn't have tried if my life depended on that one. Creativity gives birth to genius, I bet that pipe in the background tastes pretty good.
Back to the zippo ... it's alright actually .. takes a bit of used to though. I seem to light unevenly, I feel it when I tamp the ashes.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I suppose it evaporates as well. But it depends on how much you plan to use it. At home I prefer matches, so I only keep a lighter for when I go places, especially outside. I hope I won't have to fill it each time I pull it out of the drawer ...

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Zippos definitely need refilling more often than butane lighters, but the fuel is cheap. I actually keep two around. In a breeze the pipe insert works great, if there's more than a breeze, the only way I can light my pipe without a lot of cursing is with the standard insert

May 4, 2015
I hear some folks just have it as part of their morning routine to "refresh" the fluid with maybe a 5-count of fill every day before they head out. That's fine I guess, but I can't be arsed to remember that every day.

The other problem that I have run into with a Zippo is the stupid pipe inserts. The strike wheels on those stops working after a month or so for me. They get dull or something, with no amount of cleaning restoring it. I have been through three of them, and will not buy anymore. But, I've also found the inserts to be of no real use anyways, as you hold the lighter up about a half inch over the bowl and just pull the heat down into the bowl to light it. The hole in the side doesn't help nor hinder. So...

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I use my zippo quite a bit and I never have to refill every day. More like every 4-5 days.

Aug 14, 2012
I now use a Bick. But I used to be able to light a cigarette or cigar on a moving motorcycle with a Zippo. You just have to be able to cup it with both hands.

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
I've never had a problem with tasting Zippo fluid. I have tasted it, when I've put it to the pipe immediately after striking, instead of letting it burn for a second, but even that taste passes within a puff or two. It doesn't taint the tobacco, and the notion that it would doesn't make much sense to me. Lighter fluid is a volatile substance (hence the constant refilling), and it seems to me that any trace amounts that make it into your bowl (or cigar) would be evaporated by the heat very quickly. I can see being sensitive to the taste, to the point that you always taste it on the initial light, but I'm skeptical of being able to taste it through the entire smoke. (Unless the initial taste ghosts your mouth; I've had that happen with Ennerdale.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Foggy said:
I now use a Bick. But I used to be able to light a cigarette or cigar on a moving motorcycle with a Zippo. You just have to be able to cup it with both hands.
While standing on the seat, one foot operating throttle!
I've managed to light with butane up to 10 knots, but after that I am ducking into a doorway or something. It's the cupping of the hands, the back to the wind, and quick and dirty. (And that is not what she said!)
Not shirt, but jacket or other human when possible, tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.