PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
:rofl:
Ever light a pipe inside of your shirt? That's a veteran move.
Been there, done that. Holes in the tee shirt and a bad case of pipe measles on my belly.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah.. Shielding from wind with your shirt or jacket .. I do that whenever out hunting. This zippo quite works for ..sad to say I have a dupont gatsby that doesn't work this well for pipe lighting. I pulled out the Royal yacht and enjoying my lighter quite a bit. :puffpipe:

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Zippo is the way to go.
I've heard complaints about the insert and not being able to draw the flame into deeper bowls. I have some giant pipes and have no issues whatsoever. I can light that thing under almost any circumstance, especially wind. For me the utility outweighs the pain in the ass of filling it every few days. As far as tasting the fluid, only if you light and draw the flame quickly (especially after a fill up) is it noticeable. And then it's only for a second or two. A simple, metal American made tool that has pretty much stood the test of time. I like 'em.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I once lit a cigar on a tiki torch in a pinch..... I'm not picky. Sure you can smell/taste the Zippo fluid....FOR A SECOND. Then it's gone, no big deal to me but I'm no seasoned connoisseur. Like I always tell my wife, "fashion be damned, all I care about is function".

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just wait until you want to relight that last bit of baccy in your stack or chimney then you will realise the folly of your purchase :nana:
Angled re-fillable butane lighters are the only way to go :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mrbaho

Lurker
Sep 11, 2015
Use Coleman lantern fuel to refill your Zippo. A gallon cost about $12.00 from a hardware store. It does not have an odor when burning. It is easy to keep an empty Zippo or Ronson container full. Also if you use your Zippo a lot each day simply give it a squirt each morning.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I refill about once a week. Twice if needed. I've found Zippos reliable as opposed to butanes. Always have problems after a couple of butane refills. Maybe if I dropped a hundred bucks plus for an Old Boy or Calibri I would have better luck. But why when I can get a fully customized Zippo for less than half the price? I admit that an Old Boy is on my wish list but if I have a hundred bucks to spare - not often now since I became unemployed - I'll buy tobacco or use it towards a new pipe.
I have no problems lighting my stacks or jumbos - assuming the Zippo was refilled the previous few days. As for durability, I have a WWII tube lighter around here that still works. I don't know who made it although Dunhill did make some of the trench lighters.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
Use Coleman lantern fuel to refill your Zippo. A gallon cost about $12.00 from a hardware store. It does not have an odor when burning. It is easy to keep an empty Zippo or Ronson container full. Also if you use your Zippo a lot each day simply give it a squirt each morning.
mrbaho - Yup, I've used a mess of Coleman in my lighters, but I found that I've had to refill more often. I'm guessing that it's due to it being a little more volatile than your run of the mill lighter fluids. However, doing a daily fill you wouldn't have to worry about that. I usually fill, run it all out, and refill. All though, I always have a container of fluid near by. I do carry my lighter in my hip pocket, and it does get a little more heat then just sitting on the table, or elsewhere. Also, if you overfill, man will it burn your leg! Even more so then Zippo/Ronson, or other lighter fluids will. Granted that lighter fluids are based on the same naphtha that Coleman is made of, but they must be adding something to it. You are right, though! It's odor is much more subtle, and it is cheaper then the others. Could you imagine buying Zippo/Ronson by the gallon?! $$$$ :crazy:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The only lighter for pipes I have ever used was my favorite a zippo pipe lighter meadow green. It does not feel right using anything else and I smoke exclusively nearly only Virginias which are pretty finicky in nature due to their subtle flavor.

bedollae

Lurker
Jul 31, 2017
I've always carried a Zippo when out hiking and camping. So when I took up the pipe it was for me a no brainer. I just picked up one of their "Pipe" models and I love it. Heck, for $13 bucks whats not to like.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"Use Coleman lantern fuel to refill your Zippo. A gallon cost about $12.00 from a hardware store."

In the old days we used Amoco high test white gas from the pump instead of Coleman fuel in their lamps, stoves etc.

I don't think there was naphtha in it back then.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Carry two Zippos for pipes all the time (I own 4). I love them, they are reliable and easy to maintain (flint and wick).
If you want to get 'green', you aren't throwing away disposable lighters in landfills either. If you do keep a disposable around (just in case, 3rd backup option), pull out the flint before chucking it and you will have flint for you Zippos. See YouTube for videos on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.