PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
...Well, it won't fix it, but it does help quite a bit it reducing evaporation. I've been using these for a few years now and I bought them mainly to protect my better Zippos from wear and damage. In using them I discovered fuel evaporation was significantly reduced. I recently pulled one out of the bag that had been only partially fueled and after a week in the bag it still had plenty of lights left. You can get them on Amazon, 1.5" X 2" ziplock bags, $8 for 1,000 bags.

img_20190227_145546408-449x600.jpg

img_20190227_145551304-449x600.jpg

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Have you tried vaseline in the insert for a better seal?

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I've never had a problem with the evaporation, I carry a regular insert one everyday as I smoke cigs as well and I fill it up every Sunday and it last the whole week, I may top it off on Saturday before I go out to bars if the flame is kinda low, but rarely do I run into a problem that it runs out and no one has a light. Plus fluid is super cheap. Its more likely that the flint runs out on me instead of fuel. That's why I carry a extra flint underneath the tab on the bottom.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Don't care much for these fixes, but I'm gonna try this one. My Kiribi's flint seems to have bought the farm, and it won't be soon till I get replacements. I'll have to use the Zippo in the meanwhile. Said Zippo has been sitting there unused because at a rate of 1-2 pipes per week or less, I just can't be refilling the thing every time I smoke: too much wasted fuel.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Amen Acidpox.

I don't understand why people are having problems with Zippos.

Been using them for 55+ years and never experienced any of these issues.

Use it all day everyday, fill it every 6 or 7 days.

And I smoke all day long.

Carry 3 extra flints. Or 4 or..

But.. if you found a fix for your issues, those that have them, fantastic! Great ingenuity.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don't care much for these fixes, but I'm gonna try this one. My Kiribi's flint seems to have bought the farm, and it won't be soon till I get replacements. I'll have to use the Zippo in the meanwhile.
Take the flint out of the Zippo! JK, but I've mixed flints with no problem (so far).

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Nice hack! Wish I would have known about this a while back...
Short story time:
A few months back I was in a hurry to get to the pipe shop before they closed. I topped off my Zippo lighter in a hurry and threw it in my left front jeans pocket. While driving to the shop I felt an itch that grew to a hot chemical burn. Kind of like the burn you get a few weeks after you make love to a stranger in exchange for money. It took me about three blocks to realize that the Zippo was leaking in my pocket and the gas was burning my skin! I pulled the lighter out and could feel the residue of the fuel on the outside of the lighter. Needless to say I had a sweet chemical burn on my thigh for a few hours after that!
I then switched to butane lighters that I can keep in my pocket without feeling the bern!
Now I have two Zippo lighters that I do not use and are there just to show my buddies when they come over.
P.S. Pun intended!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Milehighpiper, the same thing happened to me with my first Zippo, about 9 years ago. Not as extreme, though, but I learnt to keep the Zippon in the little pocket of my jeans, where it would remain upright even if I was sitting down.
I like Zippos, which is why the fuel evaporation issue annoys me.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I never top my Zippo off to avoid the possibility of leakage. A short squirt or two daily will generally keep these things humming along nicely.

Yes, a jeans watch pocket is the perfect place for your Zippo.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I feel like I've won the lottery.
I own two Zippos and neither one has ever leaked, I've never had flint issues and I go a week or more before I have to refill.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Many years ago, many, many years ago, I purchased my first Zippo. I read the instructions and so let the overfill evaporate before using or putting in my pocket. I get an easy week worth of flame for a more less continuous chain of bowls or cigarettes. Only got a "burn" when I'd ignore the evaporation step. Only took a couple of times, I'm a slow learner.

Oct 7, 2016
I have two Zippos. The fuel in one evaporates in a couple of days, I can use the other for a week. The lighter body in the fuel pig is a very loose fit in either case. The other one is tight as a tic in both cases.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Zippo also sells a little fuel canister. I've had one in the glove box of my truck for two years and it's still full of fuel. It's a nice assurance for me knowing that my lighter will never actually go dry on me since I have a little refill available if needed.
https://www.zippo.com/products/fuel-canister

Status
Not open for further replies.