PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
With the recent dog thread started I wanted to start this one, so I figure we can take some time to remember our first dogs. Mine was a border collie mix that my Mom got me when I was 9 yrs old, there was a dog previously but this is the one I remember. His name was Cody, since I grew up with him we would wrestle in the yard. He passed last year but lived to a ripe, old age of 14.

406324_4032533624384_225968169_n.jpg

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Good one boz! My favorite/first dog would have to be Ranger, my old black lab. Greatest dog in the world except for the fact that you can't leave any food on the table. Or kids cant walk around without it getting stolen by him.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
My family had dogs when I was younger, two Siberian huskies that I lied to death.
My first dog, my own dog, was/is my Lab. He is a FC hunter, titled, and one ell of a hunting partner. He is three now, and still a pup. His training has been on the back burner lately due to our 18mth old daughter.
But this past season, all gears were kicking in high speed.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
My first dog was a mutt from the pound in the early 60s. He lived to the ripe old age of 16 yrs. At 53, I've had 18 dogs in my life. The latest one was a black labradoodle puppy I got my boys for this past Christmas.
IMAG0935-1-1-1-1.jpg

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Our first dog was a Keeshond named Keesha. She was a rescue that we got from our vet here in town. Keesha was a good and faithful dog who lived 14 years. We miss her a lot. A couple of years later we got Freddie, a toy fox terror (not a misspell). When he was in a good mood he would try to take your arm off; no one had ever seen him in a foul mood and lived to tell the tale. We found a home for him down the shore with a family that's more than happy to give him a taste of their own blood from time to time.
I like cats.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
This is a picture of Riley, an Irish Setter/Golden Retriever puppy my wife and I got when we first got married 16 years ago. He helped us raise our 2 daughters and has been a truely great friend for many years. Riley is very old now and is haveing problems standing up and walking. He can't climb stairs anymore which makes it hard for him to go outside. We may have to put him down this weekend and we are all having a tough time with it. Maybe one more trip to the vet can get him something to ease his pain so we can spend a few more weeks with him but if it is time for him to move on then we will have to do what is best for him.

Riley2_zpsfb4a5148.jpg

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
A Boxer named Zipper was my first dog. Right now we have a mastiff/irish wolfhound named Stella.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
My first dog was a half breed coyote that came out of the woods at night for dog food ! No joke. She was gentle as could be, scared of everything.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The first dog I ever had was a Siberian Husky. She kept breaking out of the yard to run around the block for an hour though so we ended up giving her to a co-worker of my stepdad's who had five acres of land.
Right now I live with my girl and mother-in-law and she has four pups. There's a Shih-Tzu-Jack Russell aka a Jack Shit named Sharona, she's a girl. Then there's two boys that are a Shih-Tzu Spaniel mix named Frankie and a Shih-Tzu Lhasa Apso name Oscar, we think he was named that because he's very grouchy and has the worst dog breath ever. Then there's the young lady who's a Pit Bull Shepard mix of some sort. She turns 17 this year. My girl has said if she lives to 20 she's gonna donate her to science to findout how it happened.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
While we had a two dogs before her, Jersey was the first dog that I can remember clearly. The rest existed, but I would never call them my dogs so much as my parent's dogs that came before us.
Jersey, named after our "majestic" homeland of New Jersey, was a chocolate lab. When we first got her, she wiggled when she walked, giving her the nickname Jello. While she was far from intelligent, Jersey was as loyal and loving as they come. She never shied away from giving kisses and had eyes that could melt even the coldest of hearts. When she wasn't out in the woods hunting groundhogs, racoons and other small game, she could be found relaxing on the grass. Her lifelong companion was a tiny black Schipperke named Sammy.
Sammy, being filled with energy and "spunk" helped keep Jersey fit as she grew older. Sadly, Sammy was struck by a car around the age of 12. By then, Jersey was nearing 14, an old age for a lab. Without someone to keep her active, Jersey's health began to fail. There came a day where she could no longer get up, and we knew we had to do something. Even looking death in the eyes, Jersey seemed happy in last few moments of life. She didn't fight with the vet when the time came, something she'd done all her life. We laid her to rest on the hill of our old house, near the woods she loved to play in.
And now I'm all in tears at work...

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
The first one I remember was a Border Collie named Skippy. The old jerk two houses up from us poisoned him. We never could prove it but everyone knew his dislike for animals. Mom and Dad had a dozen more since Skippy but my firs one was a Samoyed named Snowball in 1970. We had her as a puppy but one day she escaped and we never saw her again.
Fast forward to 2002 and I shared a Corgi mix with my ex-wife whose name was Katie. A fun loving, happy little girl who loved life and just wanted to run and play. She died of unknown causes at 2 1/2 years old. that was in 2004 and I still miss her.
I got Bubba, a purebred Pembroke Welsh Corgi in 2007 when he was a little over two years old. This little guy has become the love of my life, best friend, great companion and always within a few feet of me. He's residing under my feet even as I type this. No one could replace him. He'll be nine years old this August 16th. I took this shot in the backyard this afternoon.
_DEF4052b_zps32ab4bc8.jpg

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
This is a picture of Riley
Tom, I'm sorry to hear about the health of your loved family member.
We had dogs when I was growing up buy my first dog was Lucas, an Australian Cattle Dog, great friend and he is missed. I got him as a rescue from the US Border Patrol. He failed his final exam. I guess he couldn't detect drugs when hidden in citrus. I thought about renting him out to people who's spouse had hidden their stash. lol

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I grew up with dogs, a German Shepard and a boxer. My first dog though is an American pit bull terrier named Newton. I've had him for three years and he is about four years old. One of the best behaved sweetest dogs I've ever met. Don't know what I'd do without him.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
This thread is making me a touch weepy.. Dogs are the greatest thing mankind has taken it upon ourselves to domesticate...
I love 'em all like they were my own.
My first dog was alive before I was, but I remember her well enough I suppose. She was a Bluetick hound named Sheba. I have no pics, but she was all black with short fur. She got herself into trouble fairly often regarding our trashcans.
I really wish she had been younger when I was born; I was about 7 when she died. Not an abundance of memories, but the ones I've got are lovely.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
BD884C69-23B3-4FDC-B8F1-DDC4DF074BFB-6963-00000F52AD7732BF_zps9bab85f6.jpg
Thiis may be my last dog , second from left, next to the Black one, Reg Catahoula, Louisiana State Dog, known for hog hunting and rounding up cattle, he will be my buddy, he"ll never replace Ki but he can try

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
][/url]
This is me picking up my dog Lincoln for the very first time. He is only two years old now but he is the culmination of a life long wanting a dog. As I am new to pipe smoking he is my companion that roams around outside with me as I enjoy a good smoke. Look forward to getting a home one day where we can sit by a fire together and enjoy a good english blend.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Trailspike, Thank you for that. It turned out Riley only stayed with us a few more days after I posted. We had to put him down.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My first dog was a Sam. He was around from the time I was born til I was 6 years old(1977). One morning while waiting for the bus, he took a wiz on the bus tire and they bus ran him over by accident. That is terrible at any age, but I was little.

I have had a few dogs over the years, none lately. Now the wife and I have two cats. Love them to death.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I believe our first family dog was an Australian Terrier named "Freeway". I believe we got him when I was 5 maybe 6. I remember we gave him away to a man my dad knew who hunted and trained him to hunt rabbits. He live a happy life out on the farm and didn't pee our house anymore lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.