PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a tough one for me. I was going to ask for you top three movies and then chickened out because I would find it hard enough to limit it to five. So here goes, for this moment at least, in no particular order:

Modern Times

Night Of The Hunter

Ikuru

King Of Hearts

Wizard Of Oz
There's a bunch more that come to mind that I like as much, like Rear Window, Best Years Of Our Lives, Maltese Falcon, Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, A Man For All Seasons, Seven Samurai, Toy Story 1 & 3, Up, Fantasia, Finding Neverland, The Lion In Winter, Bonnie And Clyde, Arsenic And Old Lace, Bringing Up Baby, The General, the latest Star Trek, and many others, but I promised that I wouldn't list more than five, so I won't mention any others here. :puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Papillon ("Hey, you bastards. I'm still here.")
The Dead (John Huston's version of James Joyce's short story)
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Time Bandits
(I know that's only four, but I have too many choices for fifth.)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
sable: In front of or behind the camera. I was in the middle of writing "The Great American Novel" and then McMurtry came up with "Lonesome Dove." No point in continuing with my little book.
The Lion in Winter . . . 2 of the best with a great script, wonderfully shot . . . it's in my top ten. Could easily have been in my Top Five.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@ petes03

Hell, I cheated a LOT!!
@Warren

I was behind the camera. I was hired to paint a live-on-location matte painting of the Montana ranch in winter. It was July when I arrived in Albuquerque and was driven to the location in Angel Fire. We were situated on the Torres Ranch, a huge parcel of land. Wouldn't you know, a huge storm system, actually a swarm of storm systems, collided overhead. It started snowing in July! The scene of the cowboys riding in the snow were shot in July!

Thankfully, the snow melted quickly so I wasn't out of a job. But that storm system played merry hell with me for the week that I worked on the shot.

In the end, we did a cross dissolve between my painting and the actual location to show the passage of the seasons.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
El Dorado

Shawshank Redemption

Tombstone

Lonesome Dove

Open Range
I guess I am a sucker for a good western.

B

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
No order
Hangem High

john wayne green berets

Dire Hard

lethal weapon

The Good the bad and the ugly

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Lists such as these is why my oldest son has several dozen different films that revolve in and out of his "Top 10" depending on his mood and his audience on a given day.
For me to choose a "Top 5" would be a lot like having to name which of my four sons is my favorite ... it's an unanswerable question ...
Several of the above named titles are names that come quickly to mind in considering how I could possibly hope to answer the question ... "The Lion In Winter" and "Usual Suspects", for example, are among those that came quickly to mind ... problem is, there are between one and two dozen names that also spring up almost as quickly ...
Some names no one has yet mentioned that are among that flood of memory include:

"Giant", "The Godfather", "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner", "Unforgiven", "Easy Rider", "The Wild Bunch", "The Sting", "Rocky", "Jaws", "North By Northwest", "The Birds", "The Bridge On The River Kwai", and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" ...
Were I to stop and think a few minutes, that list could easily double and maybe even triple ...
Here's one that might be ONLY on my list, but it was a FABULOUS move ... "A Big Hand For The Little Lady" ... perhaps the best movie no one ever saw.
In short, I cannot pare the list to 5 ... there are too many which I quite simply cannot exclude ...
(Edit) Kudos to Pipebow88 on the "Open Range" pick ...

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
In no particular order,
Casablanca

M

Seven Samurai

The Shining

Caddyshack

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
No particular order:
Shawshank Redemption

Glory

LOTR trilogy

The Replacements

The Empire Strikes Back

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hmm, that is challenging:
1. Goodfellas

2. Outlaw Josey Wales

3. Blade Runner

4. The Hustler

5. The Usual Suspects
I couldn't leave out these

- Pulp Fiction

- Apocalypse Now

- Full Metal Jacket

- Reservoir Dogs

- To Kill a Mockingbird

- Snatch

- Fargo

- Cool Hand Luke

- Platoon

- No Country for Old Men

- The Best Years of Our Lives

- Stand By Me

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
In no order:
Outlaw Josey Wales

Indiana Jones Movies (with the exception of the Temple of Doom - didn't like that one as much)

National Lampoon's Vacation

True Grit (original John Wayne version)

Kelly's Heroes

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Great topic, and an ever changing list for me, but here goes:
- Glory

- Silverado

- The Empire Strikes Back

- Life is Beautiful

- Lost in Translation
Thanks, Jesse, for kicking this topic off!
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.