PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few years ago, fish'n'banjo put me onto small pipes. Before that, as I've said often, small pipes looked like toys or souvenirs to me. With a little encouragement, I have bought several small pipes including a Peterson Rustique Belgique, an Old Dominion Chesapeake, and an Ewa Churchwarden. I have some slightly larger ones, but I won't do the whole list. What I discovered was that small pipes, in the Dunhill Group 1 and 2 category, have many uses. They provide a fine short smoke, when time is limited or when you want a variety of blends in a certain time. They are great for sampling at pipe shows or pipe shops. In many cases, you can get an average length smoke from flake, coin, plug or rope tobacco. And they are a cagey way to sample really strong tobacco without getting put on your ear by nicotine. Most of my pipes are within the average size range, and I also value several really big pipes, XL or KS, also known as Group 5 or 6. But small pipes aren't to be dismissed. I really enjoy mine as a belated addition to the stable. What are your three smallest pipes?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I only have one small pipe. Here's a picture of my Dublin made by Scottie Piersel (the bottom pipe) the top pipe is an Il Ceppo Dublin for comparison. As small as the Scottie is I can still get a 45 minute smoke from it. So, good things do come in small packages.
V7cNPe1.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
When I first got serious about pipes I was drawn to larger ones. 7"+ Lumbermans and Canadians. When I got my first pipe by Konstantinos Anastasopoulos however, it totally changed my preferences. Now my new acquisitions must be between 5 and 6.5" with a chamber no bigger than .77", and under 1.5oz.

Petite pipes are where it's at for me.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Your question reminds me that I don't really have any 'small' pipes, apart from a couple of old Falcons. This is something I must rectify as there are plenty of times when a short smoke would be just the thing. Mike

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
The bulk of my collection is sub 1.5oz and no bigger than group 3, I find them comfortable to clench and provide a good quality smoke. Which is a good thing as paying European tobacco prices I probably couldn't afford to smoke a group 6 pipe. :lol:

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Interesting thread. I'll reply in full with mine another time, when I can furnish my post with pics.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I prefer small pipes since i prefer shorter smokes! I had a big vauen billiard which was to spacious. 25-30 minutes is my sweet spot

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I also prefer smaller pipes! I don't really like to smoke pipes that are deeper than 35mm or wider than 20mm. Because deeper than 35mm i almost all the time get wet dottle, even though i smoke slow and regularly pass a pipe cleaner.
I also like the weight and feel of smaller pipes in my hand (my hands are pretty small).

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )

I have many small pipes in my collection as you have said they are wonderful for a quick puff and on cold N.Y. day they priceless, these are the three smallest. Peterson 606 for comparison, from front to back, first a small imported briar maybe a salesman sample, next a Savinelli Lollo great for a quick puff and finally a miniature Custombilt with its original box and tag, the miniature pipe would be purchased along with a gift certificate and given as a gift. The miniature pipe and certificate would then be turned in for a full size Bilt of your choosing. They were non-smoking miniatures made of clay or wood.
Tim.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I collect small pipes but I don't seem to smoke them much. If I go out the pipe room for a smoke I usually pick up a medium or large pipe. Anyway, these are so small I was able to fit in fourth =)
Top one is a Yello Bole(with KBB clover leaf)

Next is stamped "Minipipe"

Then an ebony pipe that looks like it was carved from a piano key.

The last is simply stamped "Italy" which I bought new from a Famous Smoke Catalog some years ago.
te2BntF.jpg

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
willmer2-600x448.jpg

Most of my pipes are on the short size. My favorite small bowl is this Willmer lightweight, which I have showed off before. I just like the cut of the stem. It about a size two I think.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a variety of small pipes, and three that are so tiny I have to believe that they were made for leprechauns. The three smallest are a 1920's cased Comoy Old Bruyere that is shaped like a barrel with a pencil shank, probably a group 1/2; a 1930's Barling Hind Cad shape that is so small that I can rest the bowl inside the chamber of an EXEXEL pot with room to spare; and a 1920's Kaywoodie Dublin that is about a group 1, maybe.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have a Kaywoodie Dublin from the late 20's that is about a group 2, a Castello 55 XX and an old Marxman Apple from ??? that is around a group 2-3. Most of my pipes are group 5 "ish", I smoke mostly English blends and I enjoy a good amount of tobacco when I do. When I smoke my smaller pipes, it's always something strong, like a plug or a rope, but this is rare.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great response, many excellent small pipes. I envy them, much range in shapes and finishes. I know I often push these, but I recommend at least looking at the Ewa line at the Iwan Ries site. I don't know anyone else who carries them, but they are a reputable old French brand that specializes in small pipes, mostly Group 2, and sells them at wonderfully reasonable prices. So far as I know, I am the only Forums member who owns one of these. They have various styles, but the churchwarden styles in modest lengths (10" and 7" as I recall) are somewhat classics. I think most are still under $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.