Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Recently, I have designated a cob to....my own little experiment. Just throwing in a pinch or two from each tin I try until I find the perfect daily routine. Fairly new to this, so not much in it...but the flavor...actually has not been too bad! I was pleasantly surprised when I threw together Villiger 1888 Late Night, Out of Office - Gone Fishin', and Admirals Choice Vanilla Cavendish. It was a heavy smoke, tasted sweet and bold. I tasted honey, caramel, and vanilla both together, and in layers. My grandfather said it had two smells; sweet, strong, and it's good but I can't explain it. So, from now on, my leftover crumbs, and a little of each will go in and keep changing.
So, I want to know, if any others have been messing with this idea, and what you've come up with. The Toaster Leavin's is a reference to a T.V. show where they are starving and empty out the toaster to eat the crumbs. Looking forward to hearing about yours!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've called my left overs "Toaster Leavin's" for years. It aptly describes what is in the jar. Actually, it's not half bad but I rarely smoke it so thanks for the reminder. I need to visit that jar to see what's cooking in there.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Have you kept track of the types in it? Also, I didn't miss a thread did I? ANOTHER question is, when I start trying non-aromatic/english blends if throwing them in will be good or bad.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Mine is called my workshop blend, a lot of folks here call it their pensioners blend, i dip into mine most weeks, and play a game of guess the leaf, I can usually tell at least what blending house certain leaf/clump cames from, partly because the distinctions are noticeable when smoking them in that way, I dump in lakelands, dried out aros, latakia heavy leftovers, basically everything and give it a shake.
Isaac

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Man, There must be 30 different blends in there. Everything from SG1792 to Gentleman Caller and between. Mostly non-aros but it has a very nice aroma considering the amount of lat blends I've tossed in there. I wish I had kept records but laziness prevailed.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Currently smoking a "working blend" of homebrew ingredients. So far, it has lived up to expectations and exceeded them, but not many of my mashups have. I like the Villiger "After Dinner" for mixing however. It's great with some Gawith brown sliced. A sweet, powerful mixture.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Bjarne Viking Erik the Red, Ole Shenandoah 76 and Bootlegged added. Cherry is just too overwhelming. I added more admirals choice and Villiger to the mix to balance it a little, even the strong caramel has been overtaken....last time I add much cherry!

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
I thought I had a great idea once. I threw a bunch of leftovers into a pension blend. Then for some unknown reason I felt creative and stated throwing a pinch of this half of that and some of that other stuff I didn't like went in also....
It was horrible and to this day it is on display in a mason jar and I expect it to remain there for a good while.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm typically a non aro smoker and I keep Burley, Virginia and Latakia blends on hand. It's hard to come up with a mix I don't find serviceable using any combination of these.

I don't usually dilute 'the good stuff', unless it's remnants of a tin involved. Most of my tobacco is bulk or otc.

I only have 13 tins of unopened blends. I am a pensioner.

When I started smoking I had a few OTC's available here in India and 90% of them were unbearable. Hence The Zombie Blend was born. Consisted of Erinmore Mixture, Borkum Riff Whiskey, Captain Black White and Royal.
Zombie Blend II has Captain Black White and GQ Tobaccos 2014 Christmas Blend. I still have 2oz of it if anyone wants to go at it. It has been soaked in cheap vodka 3 times in the last one year.
Chris

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I found that when something gets over bearing I find ways to sort of mellow it out. I like the experiment, but prefer not to have a whole batch of tobacco I can't smoke. Certain things over take, so it needs to be balanced. Like adding an extra dash of salt when cooking. Tonight, I decided to change it up a bit. I had another cigar "Java by Drew Estate." Because of it's sweetness, and strength...and the fact that I couldn't much handle smoking a full one (not a big cigar smoker) I took about a fourth off the cigar, unwrapped it, cut the binder in ribbons, and threw it in the mix. Gave it a more robust smell, can't wait to try it hope I didn't make a mistake tonight! Go Mania!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
The first cigar did well, though it has dominated the cob I smoke it from. Not sure of the exact details as I got these when I took ownership of my fathers humidor with the few left in it....but it was hand made in ybor city...all I know is it was big, strong smelling, about 5-10 years in the humidor and had dried out completely and cracked with no hope of coming back to case. I figured, no sense in letting it go to waste...broke it up, added about half of it into my mix...packed a bowl added a little wild turkey to bring up the humidity of the jar as it's pretty dry and headed to the porch for a 1 in the morning smoke. I feel the need to keep up with this and document the changes in this. It actually....was probably the best smoke I've had so far. Nicotine content was high, it was complex, strong and easy smoking. Though the first light did ignite a large flame due to the dryness, it mellowed as the aromatics began to kick in. I tasted the cigar for most of the smoke with a hint of ole shenandoah 76 peeking through periodically for the first half with a nutty flavor. Then, as I made it down toward the bottom I got the faintest sweet taste I cant describe, then followed cherry. I don't have the words to describe the bottom of the bowl, but, for me to make it to the bottom of the bowl in a cob says a lot because I usually can't do it. After a few days as the tobaccos get to know one another I plan to revisit.

A night to remember. Pleased to share my ramblings on this. Hope there are others who enjoy reading about it.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
My first blended "plug tobacco" was made from the left over jar and was flavoured with sugar and Calvados. It came out quite nice tastewise but can´t be reproduced of course. It also tended to crumble apart as pressing time was too short (I use a six ton work shop press).
The second blend I did was my idea of a Balkan tobacco:
21g Mac Baren Latakia Flake

11g Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

25g Erinmore Balkan Mixture

11g G.L. Pease Robusto

15g Anden Gold Whiskey flavoured
No further topping but a bit of sugar water and two weeks under six tons made it a proper plug and it has a great taste too.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Holy smokes, that's quite a brick.
I have a few jars of floor sweepings currently. I had one large jar that I broke down into 2 jars for long term aging since the mixture was spot on. The open jar is still evolving and has become a bit VA heavy but should move into a more English realm by the end of the year.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I have a small press I could use.....but right now learning restoration technique and experimenting. I have to give you applause here because I'm sure it's more difficult than it seems. Thanks for the pictures too!

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I'm sure it's more difficult than it seems.
Not at all! I worked purely by instinct and the blendings came out very well. First try was to press over a period of one week which proved to be too short. The "plug" came out brittle which didn´t impare the taste of the tobacco. The main reason for pressing is to blend together the different aromas.
Second try involved pressing over a period of two weeks and the plug came out much better. Next time I should try to apply more heat to the form as well.
Give it a try - it´s fun!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
My grandfather has a 50 ton press in his shop....wonder if that's too much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.