PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
50 ton press in his shop can be dangerous. I don't like to be around it after he broke a piece of metal. The only time he has done it I had to be there.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I suppose you have to put some real engineering into your pressing form if you would like to use the 50 ton press. I use a simple stainless steel tube with two substantial brass plungers which cope very well with the 6 tons. I wouldn´t dare to go over 20 tons with this.
After all the main goal is to blend the different aromas not to turn the tobacco into a solid brick. :lol:

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Having smoked only cigars a year ago I will try a blend with cigars. The idea is to cut a cigar into coins and put those in layers into the press. I may even slaughter one of the Havannas I still have.... 8O

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Cigars are good into a blend....though I must mention. A high quality cigar can be quite stout in the mix. It seems like they almost overpower others. I would probably use sparingly at first...but that's just blending not pressing. They also (if they have been in your humidor) are higher in RH and it will change things up. I added a little whiskey to my jar for that reason. Noticing it's tricky. Is there any info you can give me on this/correct me?

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
To really mend the different tobaccos together I´ve got my blend very moist before pressing. The press will squeeze the most of it out again but I found that I could go with a lot less of my sugar water or sugar water/Calvados topping. After pressing the plug needs to be dryed out a bit. I just let it sit for a few days before I tin it.
Cigar tobacco might be a bit stout so I would mix it with Latakia to mellow it down (and because I am a Latakia nut).

Status
Not open for further replies.