PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
What is your favorite tonquin tobacco, or tobacco with tonquin as an important flavor? And why?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
SG 1792 Flake:

It's a flake.

It's strong.

It tastes better when aged (as little as 6 months) - richer, mellowed VA & a more delicate tonquin flavor, more in the background.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
1792 Flake.

All of the above reasons, though I let mine mellow for 10-12 months at least before smoking.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
akfilm:

Agree.

Six months is the point at which I note softening of the tonquin flavor.

I have tins & bulk aging from a few months to 5+ years; the later is still aging & laced with beautiful plume.

Although it is reported As "Gawith's best-selling premium grade flake", I always find it available when I wish to add more to the cellar. I need to add a few more tins next week.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I'll cast another vote for 1792. It's the only tonquin flavored tobacco I've ever had, and the only one I know of. What are some others?

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
A screen shot of 16/18 blends that list tonquin flavor on tobaccoreviews. I have only tried 1792. It was not good fresh, but was great after some age.
Screenshot_2017-03-12-10-36-15-925_com.android.browser.png

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
No love for Sam's Flake? Damn tastey flake, no as in your face tonquin as 1792.
I like 1792 with a few years on it, it's a smoke I need to be in the mood for but it does scratch an itch.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Sam's flake is super gnarly, awesome weed. A gent sent me a 9 year old tin of 1792, out of the goodness of his heart, which continues to be a mind-blowing smoke.
These two are at opposite ends of the tonquin spectrum. You can smell it in the tin more than in the smoke with Sam's, but it's an integral part of the blend. With 1792, the tonquin stands atop a mount of dark leaf and shouts through a megaphone.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 SG 1792 Flake, I have a few pounds with about 5 years of age on them - with proper dry time this stuff is outstanding :worship:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Ennerdale for a slightly lighter tonquin hand, then 1792 for regler, and I really (strangely) like SG Bracken Flake which you can't seem to get in the US anymore. I don't even know if they still make it... but I can still hear Davy Jones bellowing "Yaaarrrrrrr, RELEASE THE BRACKEN!!!!!" in the visions I had whilst smoking it!

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Tried 1792 and hated it. I don't mind tonquin if it gets lost in the other flavours, but front and centre, I find it pretty grim

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Has anyone simply tried adding ground tincture of tonka beans to a blend? Then you could have full control over the degree to your own tastes. Also, another interesting experiment would be to try substituting some Sweet Woodruff and seeing how that works. Probably have it growing in your yard as a ground cover in a shady spot. Dry the flowers and grind them in. Chemically very similar to Tonka.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
jerwynn

SG Bracken Flake is long ago toes up, tagged & bagged.

I snagged 4 aged tins before it disappeared; it is tragically good.
SG Lakeland Dark is reputed to be "1792 without the tonquin" - it is not as it is a broken flake & not as similar as Bracken Flake was to 1792. (It is however a very good, strong tobacco, similar to GH Dark Flake. NB - it is not Lakekandish.)

sebdhaese

Lurker
Mar 4, 2017
Belgium
I started the "Your favorite ________ tobacco?" topics
I posted the cherry, vanilla and chocolate one. I'm new to pipe smoking and I wanted to get some peoples thoughts about certain flavors, as I am looking for new tobaccos to try. Sorry for the sudden pop up of these topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.