PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
I realize "Scottish Blend" does not have a true definition, but as we all know, many of them exist.
I hope this thread does not de-rail into a discussion of what is, or is not, a "Scottish Blend". That has been debated (and will continue to be) for many years.
I'm simply curious, what is your favorite "Scottish Blend" (if you have one), and more importantly, why? Do you just like it? Is it something about the treatment, topping, blending, etc. that makes the blend stand out?
I'll reserve my favorite(s), for now, because I'm curious to read the responses. I will add that I stayed away from "Scottish Blends" for many years because of the ambiguity -- it was sort of like a box of chocolates, you never knew what you were going to get. However, once I started sampling them, I realized I liked many of them. With or without Scotch, with or without Latakia, with or without cavendish -- lol. Many "Scottish Blends" are quite enjoyable.
So, let's hear it...

May 31, 2012
That's easy for me,

sadly though the baccy has long been out of production...

:crying:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/smoking-some-65-year-old-scottish-flake-a-group-review

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Presbyterian and Rattray's Red Rapparee are both regular favourites for me. In both blends I like that the Latakia is present yet subtle. I have no idea if they fall into the category of 'Scottish Blend' by their ingredient I just define them as Scottish because that is where the blends come from, at least originally.
Isaac

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
MacBaren's Scottish Mixture is delicious and....Danish. Oh well.
For what it's worth, I hear great things about Robert McConnell's Scottish Flake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hard to say when there's no established definition. If Dunhill 965 qualifies, that would probably be mine.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
"If it's not Scottish it's CRAP!"
All the Rattray's Scottish blends are favorites, especially Black Mallory, Highland Targe, Jock's Mixture.

McConnell Scottish Blend is great, as is McClelland Scottish Woods and Peretti's Pride of Loch lomond.
And while they might not be "Scottish Blends" many of my old favorites are (or sadly were) Scottish. John Cotton, the long lamented Dobie's of Paisley (Standard Tobacco, resurrect Four Square PLEASE), Bell of Glasgow, Gale's Presbyterian. Oh, what Glasgow, Paisley and Edinburgh did for the piping world.

May 31, 2012
I wish 3 Nuns would come back.
Re-issues usually pale in comparison to the originals,

as we've seen.
Names that are no longer names are just names that ultimately mean nothing,

just more illusory ormolu to shellac the past.

:|

sigh.
Lost to time.
"To gild refined gold, to paint the lily, to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow,

or with taper-light to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."
- Wm. Shakespeare

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Rattray's Black Mallory get's a big thumbs up as do most Rattray's blends - Hal O' the Wynd etc.
As per Chasingmembers, I love Bothy Flake (although it's a lakeland). I will be making the pilgrimage to the Kearvaig bothy this year (as pictured on the tin) just to join the exclusive Kearvaig pipe club.

May 31, 2012
I will be making the pilgrimage to the Kearvaig bothy this year (as pictured on the tin) just to join the exclusive Kearvaig pipe club.
Friggin' killer!
Them guys really have done it up straight proper,

who wooda thunk that a rather obscure Scots term would be a nice name for a new blend and become recognized as a celebrated tobacco?
Adding a wholly new entry into baccylore.
The new zine issue is another stunner,

as well as featuring pics from Bob Gregory's wedding, it features a cool old magazine reprint with a St. Bruno advert I ain't never seen plus Parker and even one from ol' Alfred Gale,

good stuff.

http://www.kearvaigpipeclub.co.uk/KPCNL24.pdf

:puffy:
Bouncing around googbooks looking for various usages of the word "bothy",

I came across this chart:

books

...may we amend it to add that Kearvaig be lively and laldy!
:puffy:

LANG MAY THAIR LUM REEK!

:puffy:​

Status
Not open for further replies.