May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I used to smoke English Blends some of my favorite were:
Penzance
Dunhill Nightcap(Murrey production)
Two Friends Deacons Downfall
GL Pease Caravan and Odyssey and Ravens Wing
Blatter and Blatter Reserve
I don't know what happened but now I cannot smoke English Blends anymore. It is kind of pissing me off because I have a lot of ten year old stuff that probably tastes great. Maybe in a couple of months I will crack something and give it a try again.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
McClelland Blue Mountain is great, I need to get my hands on some more of that stuff I went through it faster than any other blend.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I don't know what happened but now I cannot smoke English Blends anymore. It is kind of pissing me off because I have a lot of ten year old stuff that probably tastes great. Maybe in a couple of months I will crack something and give it a try again.
This happened to me back around 2001. I pretty much got tired of cigars and started smoking only pipes at that time and I gradually lost my taste for english blends. I ditched Cubans all together only enjoyed an ocasional OpusX on the cigar side. For a majority of that time I smoked only VA's exclusively. After the few years I took off pipe smoking recently, now I've come back to it and am loving english stuff again. If it's been awhile, crack one open for sure and try it. Funny how much your tastes can change over time.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Balkan Sasieni takes the cake for me. El Rincon de la Pipa #1 by Rich Gottlieb of 4noggins if I want something with a bit more kick. C&D Star of the East is pretty good too, FM original and FMOTT ...... and for all day smoke and economical reasons, Sutliff Private Stock Blend No 5 is good too.....

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Dunhill 965, Nightcap, Syrian 3 Oaks, Penzance, LJ Peretti's Omega & London Flake. Smoking the Syrian 3 Oaks more than anything though. Love that tobacco! I'm also nursing the last of my Dunhill Aperitif.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
New to English blends but I would say right now it is a tie between Esoterica Penzance and Iwan Ries Gourmet English.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I liked Penzance 3 or 4 years ago, but haven't found any since (always seem to miss the stocking). If you want milder blends, I recommend Frog Morton & FM on the Town, Plum Pudding & Mississippi River. Stepping up to more traditional English, my favorites are Nightcap, GLP Westminister, Dunhill MM 965, Chelsea Morning, & Seattle Evening. Been playing with Quiet Nights, but haven't made up my mind on it; good, but not sure if it makes favorite status.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
No one, I don't believe, has mentioned GLP Westminster. Not overly complex, but very smoky and full-bodied. And +1 to Jud for mentioning Peterson's Old Dublin. It is a bit milder, and has some really nice sweet notes hiding in the background.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
@msandoval, I tried smoking some 11 year old McClellend 2045 a few weeks ago and it tasted awful. I was thinking I would try some Bayou Nights soon to see if I like that anymore. I used to really enjoy that blend along with all my Dunhill English blends. If I ever do get my taste back for it, I have loads of aged tins to crack.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
There are many I like, but McClelland Blue Mountain, and HH Blackhouse are my two current favorites. Larry's Blend is also very good.

iantimothy

Lurker
Apr 11, 2012
living in the UK I suppose I may as well make an offering... For me Hal o the Wynd is my favorite tobacco, however I smoke 3P's and love love love Irish flake..but there is a supermarket blend (drug store ) St Bruno which I really love . possibly because you can get it any where in the UK...but here's the rub ( sorry about the pun ) I have just started smoking Pearse's Chelsea Morning and do you know? it may be American but its a wonderful English style tobacco which can be smoked all day long!!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Hey guys, I am still loving all the aro's but am looking into trying my first English blend. I have only been smoking pipes a couple months and im looking for something nice and easy to try for the first time. I wanted to try something a bit on the mild side for my first English blend. If anyone has a good starting point suggestion for me I would love to hear it. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.