PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
What is your favorite beverage and tobacco pairing? This is a tough one because I almost always have a beverage while smoking a pipe. With that being said, I would have to say that my all time favorite is Escudo and coffee. A touch of sweet cream in the coffee...delicious.

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
True, but I am simply trying to find out what combination people like best when smoking. Not everyone has a favorite I am sure. This question is for those that do.

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
I agree, Cosmic. I do enjoy a Mtn Dew with a Virginia. Enhances that twang from both the drink and the smoke. Great stuff

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I typically have water, iced tea or coffee(hot and cold), probably in that order of frequency with a pipe. I dont really pair any of them with specific tobacco either. Coffee is dependent on the time of day, I have coffee in the morning and then again around 2pm. Otherwise I have water or iced tea with no real reasoning. Maybe I have water when I dont have tea made.
I am also a scotch drinker, which I know many people enjoy with a pipe, I typically want one or the other, both seems to take away from each other as oppose to add to each other in my opinion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chilled water on ice in an insulated cup works with any blend, so is first choice. When you moisten your mouth, it seems to make the smoke thicker and the taste more vivid. If I happen to be drinking something else, I will often pair it with a blend. Coffee with cream tends to mute the taste just a little, but that works well with some blends. Tea is usually a good pairing, black or green, without much extra flavoring, to let the blend come through. Soda, like Coke, is a guilty pleasure, sugar and caffein plus the blend all at once, but I doubt it highlights the tobacco. Milky drinks, like chocolate milk or a milk shake, coat the mouth and pretty well mask the blend, but now and then, that's okay. I'm not fussy. If I want 'em both, I have 'em both. Since I drink alcohol only from time to time, I usually just focus on the whisky, beer, or wine, but if a pipe seems good. I'll do that too. But the chilled water is always a best choice to highlight the blend.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Coffee, sometimes iced,sometimes Irish, but always coffee.

Time of day does not matter and when I make a pot of coffee, it’s in a thirty cup percolator.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another percolator coffee drinker! Hurrah! For me, that's the only way to go. I'm some sort of percolator fanatic. One member, when I emphasized this, said, "Dad, is that you?"

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Coffee and dark Virginias for me. My morning routine (well, noonish since I work 2nd shift) is one or two bowls plus coffee. Later on it will be water or unsweetened ice tea. I don't have a favorite dark VA except for maybe Stonehaven or Rich Dark Flake.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I drink coffee till about 5pm and then lately is has been diet caffeine free Coke Zero after that. I used to drink a ton of iced tea but have taken a break from that for a while.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
In a perfect world:
Early Day: Kobuk Costa Rican Coffee /Espresso and Esoterica Dunbar or Capstan Blue/Aged Yellow
Middle Day: Saison Dupont or Boulevard Brett Saison and McClelland 40th Anniversary or SG Navy Flake
Evening: TenFidy Imperial Stout or Anchorage Brewing Deal with the Devil Barleywine and Dan Salty Dogs, Esoterica Penzance, or Boswell's Northwoods, as well as either Woodford Double Oaked Single Barrel Bourbon, or Bowmore 15 year Darkest Scotch.
Late night: Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout or Alaskan Smoked Porter and Nording Hunter's Blend Labrador or GH Sweet Rum Roll Twist, Stagg Jr. Bourbon or Aberlour A'bunadh Scotch.
I challenge you to remain conscious after that day. Most weekends I choose one of the above options with various iterations of tobacco drink combos on either a Saturday or Sunday. The above are my favorites so far. The full day has never been attempted. If I ever do I will videotape it for science.
If you want to be a buzzkill and force me to pick one, I choose the coffee and Dunbar.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Since I seem to enjoy a bowl exclusively at night, I tend to pair any tobacco I chose with a glass of booze, preferably Macallan or Bushmills.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
Good strong fresh coffee, YES a Percolator OR if I'm in hurry, Keurig... Either way, either coffee or Tea if hot outside. :puffpipe:

Jun 9, 2018
England
Tea, tea and more tea. Whether it's English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Afternoon Blend or Queen Anne as long as I've got a nice cup of splosh in my hand I'm happy. And that goes double for when I've got a pipe in my head.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.